Author Topic: AM criticized? WHAT?!??!!?!  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Noben

• A deity among you.
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
    • Altermeta
AM criticized? WHAT?!??!!?!
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
lol did the title snag your attention? Awesome, it worked. ^_^

Recently I happened onto some criticism of Altermeta from a site called “Bad Webcomics”.  Not really from an entry as a bad webcomic itself, but a recent post there caused some referrals that actually got my attention. (I mean, when a site links to you that has the title of “Bad Webcomics”, and you actually do a webcomic then naturally it brings up some kind of concern)

Now I've read through some of their reviews and at times they're pretty spot on and dang funny, in fact I actually like the site.  I just think that a lot of what is put in some of the reviews/criticisms there aren't really that helpful.  Then again, it's a site that doesn't really pride itself in being actually helpful, so I can't really go off that. I mean some of the comics there are a real stretch into what one would call “Bad”. Either way, if AM ends up as an entry there, then so be it.  But I can and will do  is face the criticism that I'm made aware of and either accept it, refute it or clarify the subject matter that's being pointed out as bad. And not all criticisms that I do know about are coming from that site.  This is for everyone, not just for the folks at some website who poopoo and qq my comic. The only purpose it served is to be the catalyst for the subject.

Because aside from any website that talks about my comic with or without it being brought to my attention, criticism is criticism, and I won't learn anything if I don't actually have that criticism brought to me.  And to be honest people rarely do that, or it takes place on a site that I don't really care about or go to.   In the end I'm not concerned with changing anyone's mind, specifically if they don't want their mind changed or if they don't want to see any clarification of their own assumptions.

It's obvious that folks that have read my comic find things about it to dislike.  And yes, I do pander to the already existing fans more often than not.  That doesn't mean I can't try to better it for the sake of the general populace. It's the point of actually bringing this stuff to the creator. I do actually like to meet folks halfway at the very least, if I can.

Several times through my responses you will see me refer to bad webcomics as my source of these criticisms, but really it's the only site I've seen such things said. (or rather, at least at sites I care to go to) I may not agree with them, and they may be a bit trolly at times, but I'm serious when I say I actually kind of like the place. It makes me laugh.

Concerns and Criticisms
The Art
The Genre..
Kuvrahk Biology and T & Sasha.
Update Schedule
Plot, Story, Pace, Setting and Reboots

Aside from these, if there are any other major things to be critical of but I didn't address, you can let me know or ask questions.  I won't bite... Hard.
Gods don't kill people.
People with gods kill people.

Beginning April 5th, 2010...
Official Catgirl Body Count: 36

Altermeta Community

AM criticized? WHAT?!??!!?!
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

Offline Draque

• Kuvvie
Re: AM criticized? WHAT?!??!!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
If you go to sites named things like "hates-4-hire.com" I don't think you can act surprised when they hate everything in sight |: ).  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Especially the mouth thing... I've checked out some of the comics, and quite frankly, they're drawn with more detail than pretty much any other web comic than I can think of. : \

Offline Noben

• A deity among you.
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
    • Altermeta
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:23 PM »
I'm not THAT worried about it.  My main point of this was two fold.  First, if my comic is going to be razzed for being bad, at least pick actual bad things and/or understand what it is that you're slamming.  Secondly, it's also something that's been on my mind for a LONG time.  Most people who are sorely critical of the comic seem to really be afraid of bringing it to me.  I tend to hear stuff second, third and fourth hand, through a grapevine so to speak.  By that time, it doesn't mean much to me.

Granted that one site actually entertains me, so technically it did work. But I think as a whole actually bringing things to light directly and openly is far more productive than bitching about it elsewhere and then pointing at the subject of the criticism and going "SEE? SEE? THEY NEVER CHANGE!" in a very self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way.
Gods don't kill people.
People with gods kill people.

Beginning April 5th, 2010...
Official Catgirl Body Count: 36

Offline Squachy

• Kuvling
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:10:57 AM »
As far as Im concerned a webcomic is no more or less just a way to entertain an audience regardless of how its done.
Theres no right way of doing it, theres no 'real' way of doing it.  Plus as an artist theres always a specific way they do things and it becomes their style.  Like AM has its own style, Penny Arcade has its own style, VGcats has its own style, Looking for Group has its own style.

Plus its a comic, it doesnt have to be so detailed that its realistic unless the comic itself is supposed to be detailed and realistic.  If those guys are slamming the mouths being not detailed (what?) or whatever it is, then they're not looking at the comic as a comic, but more as an artistic criticism, which may or may not be neccessary for the topic/medium in question.

And if i started reading a comic and hated either its art or story or whatever it is, i not gonna slam it on a message board.  I just dont even read it.....

The only criticism of AM i have is that its on the slow part where its backstory and talking and whatever.......