Author Topic: What do you use to listen to music?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
What do you use to listen to music?
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
I usually use my Beyerdynamic headphones. They are super comfy and sound pretty good - better than any other headphones or earbuds before that. Given that I used to just use bundled headphones, yeah. The best part about it is that it doesn't need an amp to drive - important as I tend to listen to portable devices.

When I really, really need some air, though, I just use my laptop's speakers. Slightly restrained bass, but it could pass off as a stereo otherwise.

Altermeta Community

What do you use to listen to music?
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
Re: What do you use to listen to music?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
Speakers: M-audio studio monitor speakers.
Headphones: either my Razer headset, my Sennheiser HD 215 headphones, or my J-bud J3 earphones.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
Skull Candy's in my ear, don't remember the brand of speakers on my desk. Portable little aluminum tube and satellite set that makes big and surprisingly well balanced sound.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »
Since I have some hearing damage, I usually use the ear phones that came with my iPods and Zunes. I have a pair of Shure ear monitors that I'll use from time to time, as well as a set of Skullcandy cans. I also have a pair of first generation Blue Jay Bluetooth headphones.
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline Toaster RepairUnit

• Kuvling
  • Making chocolate pudding
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
I've had over 10 pair of shitty headphones break on me in the past so a year ago I got the strongest pair I could find, some V-Moda Crossfades LP. (paid em 110$ on amazon) with a frikking metal base and a kevlar detachable cord, you can't go wrong for durability.

I have to admit, it took 1 or 2 months before it stopped hurting the top of my head. but I'm not really used to big headphones. or hats.
the second thing that's still bothering me is that when I wear them for extended periods of time, a part of my ear starts to hurt like a rash, and I mean the part of the skin that touches the mesh protecting the drivers (which is metal covered with some sort of fabric). I don't know if it's because of the shape of my ears, or maybe I have some sort of skin allergy to metal, but anyway, when I say extended periods of time, I mean all day long.

the sound is better than everything else I've ever tried, which isn't much. sound is clear to me, has quite strong bass, and generally makes techno sound good. it's pretty loud, too. I bet going over 20 or 30% in windows volume control would start causing hearing damage.

I can't really recommend these since I haven't tried any other expensive headphones other than the G35's, so I'll just say that they're pretty damn durable all right, I dropped em a couple dozen of times (when the wire gets stuck on my chair and pulls on my headphones when I leave my PC) and the worst that happened is that the cups detached from the base, and I only had to put a little piece back together with a hex key. it only happened twice so far.

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:51:24 AM »
When I'm in the house I use my sound system that I use for the TV, got an ipod dock.  Sitting outside I'll use some old PC speakers.  In the car, the car stereo.  And on the rare occasion I wear headphones it's just some Sony one I found at Best Buy.  I don't remember the model number.  They're the big poofy ones, I can't stand earbuds.  They give some good sound though, and I can hear them over the lawnmower, which is important.

Offline Leak

• Supporter
  • Kuvling
    • Stuff 'n stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
I'm usually using my Creative i-Trigue 2000-something stereo speakers + subwoofer that are connected to my PC's X-FI Titanium soundcard for listening to music.

Sometimes I also use my Sony bluetooth headset, although I mainly use that to watch TV, DVDs and Blu-Rays at night without disturbing my neighbours.

In the bathroom I have a Logitech Squeezebox radio (curse you Logitech for dropping the ball on that after buying up the manufacturer... :() which is only mono but got a lot of oomph for a small box.

And finally, when I'm on my way to work and back I use an iPod classic 160GB and my trusty pair of KOSS PortaPro headphones.

np: Sin Fang - Everything Alright (Flowers)
Oh my god - it's full of FAIL!

Offline Kotor

• Kuvling
  • UUUGH! THE STRESS!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
Heh... Alla that sounds fancy... All I use is my phone's speaker to listen to internet radio. Maybe I should upgrade...
I just go with the flow. Why? Cuz I'm a River, it's kinda my thing, path of least resistance and what not. . .

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:56:48 AM »
I saw someone made an "amp" out of two dixie cups and a paper towel tube.

Offline Kotor

• Kuvling
  • UUUGH! THE STRESS!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
Ill keep that noted :D
I just go with the flow. Why? Cuz I'm a River, it's kinda my thing, path of least resistance and what not. . .

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Music!

Well, if it is iPod, iPad, laptop, or android phone, I use a pair of earbuds I got from Walgreens of all places. The cables on them look like red Sata cables, in line mic and play/pause button. The sound is good and I can hear these over the lawn mower, though the volume needed most likely isn't good.

When on the computer, if I am using headphones, I use my Plantronics Gamecom 367 headset. Good sound, comfy, good mic. If no headphones, I use a set of Dell speakers with an included subwoofer that a friend gave to me. Good sound, and has just enough bass to give you a good rumble for video games.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:58 AM »
Bose SoundLink, I like to hear it from a speaker if I can. It doesn't deafen me to lurkers in the shadows

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
Razer megalodon. Which makes everything sound better, I swear. The speakers in my car aren't half bad either. I use Sennheiser 212Pro when neither car speakers nor a USB port are available. They're rather good and have the bonus of a replaceable cord as I'm REALLY good at destroying those.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
An old mp3 player form a no-name manufacturer and my PC.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »
I saw someone made an "amp" out of two dixie cups and a paper towel tube.

I know for a while there Pringles had an offer for a while that you could send away for something, plans or parts, and make a speaker out of a Pringles can.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »