Author Topic: The funniest thing you've seen in the forums/chat?  (Read 17310 times)

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
Re: The funniest thing you've seen in the forums/chat?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
It requires that you only have four fingers, and also a tail.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Altermeta Community

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
Well dang it. No secret handshake for me then. I lack the tail and have too many fingers...... though I could fix one of those...
Nah.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »
Ouch.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:26 PM »
Technically you could have a tail, but you wouldn't be able to control it beyond kinda waving it around.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
If I have a tail, I want it to be fully useable blast it!

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
So picky.  Well, replacement body parts are getting more advanced.  Maybe once the price starts to come down they'll start making additional parts.  Still can't help you with the finger issue though, that's still taken care of the old fashioned way.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »
A little of this, a little of that, some DNA splicing...
Bam!
Kuvrahk!

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 03:30:21 AM »
I'm still waiting for the day we invent a way to save one's core memories and personality in a computer. You could then wait a few decades or centuries until genetic science allows for Kuvrahks and furries to actually exist outside of fantasy. Or you could just create virtual versions since you're inside a computer anyways.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2013, 04:26:38 AM »
I think we had the genetic engineering conversation in another thread.  I would be a tad worried about being trapped on a hard drive for XX years.  What happens if by the time we reach the point where gene splicing of this type is possible they no longer have devices that read those?  How many people do you know that still have 5 inch floppy disk drives?  Those were still in use less than 20 years ago.

But if it were possible, I'd rather release a copy of myself onto the internet.  Technically I could be whatever I wanted, assuming I could slip into someone's computer that had photoshop.

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:29 AM »
I think we had the genetic engineering conversation in another thread.  I would be a tad worried about being trapped on a hard drive for XX years.  What happens if by the time we reach the point where gene splicing of this type is possible they no longer have devices that read those?  How many people do you know that still have 5 inch floppy disk drives?  Those were still in use less than 20 years ago.

But if it were possible, I'd rather release a copy of myself onto the internet.  Technically I could be whatever I wanted, assuming I could slip into someone's computer that had photoshop.

Like the idea of being virtual, would be cool to do so while body is sleeping/regenerating.

I would bet that any storage medium that was used to store "individuals" would not be allowed to go to disuse, unless all of the stored were first brought to the new cloud. BTW, who prevents someone from dowloading you and using the copy as a slave- or worse?
Hey, if they thought about it for a simple toon like "Futurama"....

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »
I'm still waiting for the day we invent a way to save one's core memories and personality in a computer. You could then wait a few decades or centuries until genetic science allows for Kuvrahks and furries to actually exist outside of fantasy. Or you could just create virtual versions since you're inside a computer anyways.
I think what you just proposed is the key to immortality. As long as your file remains fully intact, you could conceivably live forever as a computer program. And as computer technology continues to advance, your existence as such will become better and better as you move from one generation of computers to another. And just wait till they invent the Holodeck! And the Mobile Emitter! I can feel the endless possibilities opening up right now! Infinite Diversity! Infinite Combinations! ...Wait... That's a Vulcan thing... *shrug* Oh, well.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:37 AM »
That's right, the holodeck. The handiest plot device that there ever was!

Always liked in DS9 how Bashir and O'Brien would play summer of 1940 and the Battle of Britain. Always though it would be fun for them to be flying and finding the game was rigged to keep running, the safety protocols set to nil and the skies suddenly containing German planes with Jem Hadaar at the controls!

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »

None of that now, that is how Skynet takes over!  :P

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 03:09:42 AM »
I read a two-book scifi series a few years ago.  People had crystals implanted in their heads that stored all memories and when they got old or died they could take the crystal out and put it in a new clone.  They could even engineer animals to harbor human level intellect and you could have your crystal put in them. 

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »
Right but if you're just uploaded so,e where and then they put your memories and personality into a new body is it really you there? The same you that closed their eyes before the storage is that whose eyes open when there's a new body or is it a copy of you that does everything you would do and thinks it's you?

Altermeta Community

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »