Author Topic: Dreams, Continuity and You!  (Read 14108 times)

Offline Keleth

• Kuvling
  • Highly Explosive.
Dreams, Continuity and You!
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
I was talking to some of my friends about the subject of dreams lately. And was suprised to discover that some things are more (and less) common than I had thought. And I'm curious to see what some people experience.

Most of my dreams are in full vivid color, I experience all the senses of smell, taste, touch, etc. I am always the same person, in the same landscape, and the most interesting thing is it has continuity. Aka, if a dream ends where I'm sleeping at the inn "The Red Handed Rooster", the next dream starts right where I left off, usually waking up and beginning my day.

If I break an arm in a brawl, I get it set at a healer's, and it is still in the cast and being a general (and literal) pain. For several weeks.

I also have 'regular' dreams where it's non-sequentier, influenced by movies, etc. No senses, no vividity but they are in the minority. I only have a few of those a year.

So! Does anyone have continuity in their dreams? Any full range of senses? I'm curious!

Altermeta Community

Dreams, Continuity and You!
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
Re: Dreams, Continuity and You!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Mine vary a lot. At least one third are dreamless, another third are some kind of recurring loop of a few minutes duration, very uninteresting. The rest are what can be called Lucid, which it sounds like what you are getting to some extent. It depends how tired I was at the start. That third type is the only ones that I can remember into the daytime. I have productive ideas during them, and have used the ideas in varying degree. Some of them are story ideas, art ideas, recipes, designs for mechanical devices. Some of the ideas are complicated things that I can't grasp enough to use, sophisticated math included- even though in the waking world I never went beyond Calculus 2 and geometry.

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
Most of my dreams are images with impressions of voices and sounds rarely smells and tastes. Most of them are chaotic events follow no logic. Some cases I chase something or someone. Other cases I float free in odd places. And time to time they are erotic.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
I've noticed that I dream less often than I used to, which is a shame because I always have the strangest dreams. Some are exceptionally vivid, but I've never really had all five senses in a dream. Most of the time I end up with various fragments of plots from movies and stories. Once I wake up I realize the continuity fits together like square pegs in 4 dimensional holes, but it makes sense while I'm asleep.
Sometimes I'll remember a dream in the morning, but I'll have trouble distinguishing between that and real memories from the day before. Occasionally I'll get a lucid one that I have a degree of conscious control over. Those are fun, but then it makes me angry at the alarm clock in the morning for ending it.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »
I don't get vivid dreams very often anymore.  Its kinda sad cause I used to have some good action movie style dreams in the past.  Really the only time I have lucid dreams are when I'm really tired and sleeping during the day.  Mostly those are frustrating situations where I realize I don't have to deal with whatever is going on anymore.  I get vague senses now and then, I'll remember something or remember I forgot something and realize it must have been a dream.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
As the years wear on, the number of dreams I have been experiencing has slowly and steadily decreaces. I rarely dream anymore and most of my dreams are uninteresting and seldom memorable. Interesting enough however, all the particularly vivid dreams I've had have been of normal life. I have been known to live a full school-day in my dreams only to wake up at what I perceive in my dreams to be 4pm (7:30am in reality) and have to do it all over again. It is amazingly annoying to lose seven hours of progress in the split second it takes to wake up.  :mad:

What I have to say next will seem strange to you, and may be hard to believe.

As far as I can remember, my most vivid dream happened on the night after I first watched the movie Avatar. The dream proceeded as follows:

I was on Pandora in an avatar body standing on one of Hometree's branches. Jake Sully was standing in front of me along with several Na'vi. Neytiri and Tsu'tey were among them. Jake walked up to me and spoke to me in English. "Do you want to be part of the family?" he asked. I regretted my eventual response ever since. For some reason, the fact that it was a school-day got in the way of my thinking. I answered "I'm sorry, but I already have a family" and awoke immediately.

As I said, I've regretted my response ever since. I am convinced that that dream did not come from my own brain. It didn't have the signature feel that all of my other dreams have. I am convinced that that dream was an attempt by some alien race, very like the Na'vi, to communicate with me. I am also convinced that had I answered yes, I would somehow have become one of them. It has become my life's goal to hunt down these aliens, and find a way to become "part of the family."
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
My dreams tend towards the random. There have been nights when I have had dreams, or at times, nightmares, so real, it is hard to believe they were just dreams, yet I know they were.
Other dreams are so very weird, they defy description.
Mostly in color.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »
My dreams are a bit weird on the sense that I seem to be stuck on a loop until I really wake up. There are a lot of false starts.

It's like... I can't really control whether I'm awake. It's going to be mundane stuff like that most of the time, though I veer off course sometimes. A lot. To scaly and otherkin territory.

It's unpredictable.

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
My dreams are a bit weird on the sense that I seem to be stuck on a loop until I really wake up. There are a lot of false starts.

It's like... I can't really control whether I'm awake. It's going to be mundane stuff like that most of the time, though I veer off course sometimes. A lot. To scaly and otherkin territory.

It's unpredictable.

That's one I have about 1/3 of the time. And its also the type where a lot of actual time will go by while in that state. The kind where waking up and its gone well past the time thought. Its the one where I'm thinking of a 2 hour cat nap and get 7. Its usually some actual world thought that brings me out of it. In one , I was doing digital copy editing using word' and it was getting to the point of desiring to do a 'save' and then realizing, oh I'm asleep, and I've just lost hours of story edit because I was never on the computer doing it anyway!  :P

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 03:24:29 AM »
I almost always realize I'm dreaming but I almost always stay asleep. When everything starts to go in the general direction I want I begin to suspect I'm asleep, from then on in I'm able to influence what goes on to a high degree. I don't usually have erotic dreams, but my dreams do seem to follow each other. While I'm asleep they seem to make sense, like every other dream has been a part of this one even though they take place in different settings. My dreams are almost never grounded in reality and usually involve some kind of flight. As for colors I seem to dream only in watercolors, light watery greens, pinks, purples, and blues. I don't smell often in my dreams but I have before.

Offline Keleth

• Kuvling
  • Highly Explosive.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Thanks for everyone's responses. :)

I didn't realize that it varies quite so much, also in that I thought how I dreamt was a little more common than it seems to be.

Interesting!

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
I had a really weird dream. It started whit a guy giving me a box yelling me to run and not let her get the it. I ran in a big building hear screams and sounds of fighting. I got cornered in a room so I hide in a closet. I heard her getting close. I was terrified. Never felt like that since I nearly got hit by a car when I was seven. The closet's door opened up then I woke up.
I was relived that it was a dream. I even laughed because this was way cooler then any horror movie. Then I slept back.
And I dreamt again. I was standing in front of a guy who said: "Very clever trick escaping into the waking world where she can't follow you. Never let me take this box. Good work agent. But now you should wake up or you get late from your job." The alarm clock have woken me at this point and I was like "WTF!?"
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
I had a really weird dream last night. Me and some friends were in this old man's house helping him fix up a few things. The people in the dream seemed to be completely isolated to that dream. Anyhow, one of my friends went down stairs to the old man's basement and came back up moments later shouting "Come down here, you have to see this!" I followed him back down and what I saw completely blew me away.

The basement was larger than the rest of the house and was filled with lots of interesting stuff like pieces of vintage cars and what-not.

Here's where it gets interesting. In one corner of the basement there was a portable coffee stand. Standing behind the bar were two life-sized porcelain Kuvrahk statues, one of Jchan, and one of Boo. Suddenly, everything turned cartoony and I found myself in kuvvie form in Star Rock Falls ordering a latte from Jchan and Boo.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »
That would have been cool.

I had a weird one myself the other night.

It started out at a super market, there was a talking baby who was wanted by the government, a car chase in an old wilys jeep, and jumping out as we drove off a dock into the water.

All in all, pretty damned entertaining. Oh, and I think I had super powers in the dream to top it off.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »
Nice.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »