Author Topic: Dreams, Continuity and You!  (Read 22591 times)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
Re: Dreams, Continuity and You!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »
I sometimes have a dream follow me into the waking world, too. Not in the same way it does for you, though. Basically, I can continue the dream in my head fro a few minutes after I wake up, or if I can get back to sleep right away, I pick up where I left off.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. It's so nice for those good dreams that you don't want to have end. I won't elaborate on how that usually ends up going for me and the type of dreams I typically have lol.

As to my brain...well I'm not sure about advising for or against the experience, but I will advise that gazing into the abyss is a profoundly unpleasant experience. That's kind of what my dreams are like.

There are a few movies which deal with concepts of The Abyss. In all of them an unsaid lesson is that with those who try to play with it will lose something, just as they've gained something, and the unsettling thing is that although sometimes you may realize what was gained, you usually don't completely realize all that you've lost. You're left with a creeping feeling that the exchange may not have been worth it. It might be worth it...but I'm not sure. I'm not into orgies or anything, but I think I'd gladly exchange my dreams for whatever sexy dream anyone else doesn't want lol.
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Altermeta Community

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
I've attained the ability to hit the snooze button without surfacing too far... so I can have a few more minutes of dream XD

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
I'm not into orgies or anything, but I think I'd gladly exchange my dreams for whatever sexy dream anyone else doesn't want lol.
Are you sure? Because the one sexy dream I want to give up was about a man who's older than my dad....
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
Are you sure? Because the one sexy dream I want to give up was about a man who's older than my dad....
I had a dream where [bad stuff]... and then I got chased down by the murderer in a dark maze, into a creepy dead-end corridor that had walls that narrowed as you got to the end of the hall. The walls were there but they were so devoid of...anything that it felt like oblivion. A tangible sense of nothing extending forever around me. And then *skipping more details* and I died. Yep, I'd gladly trade that for this. Very sure.

Actually, I'm not too concerned about age, heh. I'd date a senior if the situation ever came up. *cue teenage snickering*

I just realized I totally hijacked the original thread topic. Continuity eh?

I have dream elements that  have some measure of continuity, from one dream to another, but it's usually just individual elements that make frequent appearances. Like zombies! I remember a few times having a few sequences of continuous story, but within that long separated dream segment there were huge scene changes and story directions. It would have been many different dreams if not for the gradual transitions from one into the next, retaining some elements while dropping others.

I also used to have a couple common dream setups that all started the same way, but the story always changed so much that it was kind of like experiencing the whole 'parallel realities' thing in which every possibility continuum exists, flowing through time right next to each other. Only difference is that these dreams occurred pretty randomly, and I don't believe in the parallel worlds theory :3
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Alkarii

• Kuvling
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »
I find that, regardless of what's going on in the dream, anything that should injure or outright kill someone isjust a little nudge. And the crazy part is that I'll think something like "well, that should have killed me, but it makes perfect sense that I can swan dive off a cliff and feel like I flopped onto my bed".  It's really interesting whenever I repeat the same part of a dream and see details I noticed but paid little attention to.

Supposedly there's a way to deliberately have lucid dreams. You know, whenever you want.  There's also this sleep mask that detects when you enter REM sleep, and it is somehow able to make you remember your dreams with better clarity. Something to do with converting them into "technicolor" as the guy described it. Not sure if it's still on the market, though.
If I told you I was a liar, would you believe me?

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 01:39:01 AM »
Supposedly, controlling your dreams works by increasing your awareness of them. The prescribed method is writing about your dreams in as much detail as you can. I'm guessing that this creates a connection between the unconscious parts of your dreaming mind and your controlling consciousness.

Science! (well, not really. just a science based guess)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, there are plenty of markers and predictable patterns to detect what stages of sleep you're in. Heart beat, if and how you're moving around, breathing, brain activity, and of course, if you're displaying Rapid Eye Movement. The simplest would probably be your motivity, the noises you make, and your heartbeat. There are watches available that sense and record your pulse, and smartphones have a few apps that can track your movement by siting on your bed and recording the vibrations through the mattress. I'm sure at least one of them also has a sound recorder that records any activity it picks up and timestamps it.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
I often have good control but not always. I had the oddest one the other day. A falling dream of sorts, but it wasn't me doing the falling.

I was with a group of people. Some were colleagues, I'm not sure who the others were but we were working together for some reason. We all had to go down five floors or so in a lift - for unknown reasons despite the fact we'd gone up using stairs taking them down was not an option. There were three of them, all with glass side and rear walls. Unlike lifts when I was awake the shaft was open and there was just a big open lobby below, for some reason it contained a large glass dome that was perhaps two stories high and made of frosted glass.
The first lift opened up and the floor had holes and was very unstable. We didn't get in. The second was the same, possibly a bit worse. The third had one of half a dozen or so floor panels only semi-attached but otherwise it looked okay. It was the only one left so we very carefully got in and it was going ok until the last person - a person I actually know IRL - got in and put their weight on the panel that wasn't fully attached. They went straight through the floor, down five stories and through the glass dome. I immediately sprinted for the stairs to go and help and see if they could be saved.
At that point I had to get up and face the day. The dream left me quite rattled.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »
*pokes*

I think I killed it.

Oops.

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 04:04:16 AM »
Maybe everyone's simply been practicing their lucid dreaming techniques. I plan to get a start tonight and maybe I'll begin keeping that dream diary (or journal as I suppose a man should say). There's just the problem of where to keep it, can't have everyone reading about your dreams you know. 

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
Oops.
I've just been busy and occupied. And forgetful ^^;

For a race descended from tree-climbers we sure have some strong fears of heights, don't we? XD

Actually, it's funny. Height has always been the least of my fears. I'm not so different from my kuvsonna, Jani. I've spent a whole lot of time in trees and climbing stuff as I was growing up. Of course I always had a fear of falling, but it only ensured that I always maintained a good grip and didn't make any needless risks. The few times heights have made it into my dreams, it's always been in a manageable manner that I could save myself from. In fact...heights have most often been employed to my advantage, using it to escape from whatever horrors had been chasing me that night.

Except that one time with the jumping climber zombies, similar to the Hunter from the Left 4 Dead games....A city full of zombies and the few of us that were still alive were chased into some large factory room where we climbed up to the roof joists. Climbing up to and hiding among ceiling fixtures had always saved me from zombies before. Like the scared little squirrel I am, height had always been my safety. But then as the floor of the room began to flood with zombies, climbers started making their way up the walls and jumping up to the ceiling with us. The dream ended as we were fighting them off like monkeys swinging from branch to branch lol. Strangely enough, I remember that the sense of horror was pretty tame, with just a mediocre spike when we realized they could climb and we were stuck.

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »
I had few hunted/hunter type of dreams recently but those are quite common for me.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
I've had some odd dreams, some of which included building catching on fire.
Oddly enough, it was a couple of days before all the stuff there in Ferguson went down.
Scary stuff when you live as near as I do to that kind of unrest.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline Alkarii

• Kuvling
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 02:14:32 AM »
I had a dream once where I was in some house, and we were trying to get out because of some supernatural thing going on.  The whole place had the vibe of the first Resident Evil, but no zombies.

A couple months later, I'm with my brother and we visit a friend of his.  Turned out his house had the same layout. The china hutch was even in the same place with the same contents. I had never been to that house before, so how the hell did I dream that?

Oh, and the kicker is that house was supposedly used as a hospital during the civil war.

Ain't that some shit?
If I told you I was a liar, would you believe me?

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
I had a dream recently where I was trying to get to sleep, but kept tossing and turning and just couldn't get it to happen. Then I got up, got dressed, took a shower, had breakfast, got in the car, and made it halfway to school before I actually woke up, panicked, and then realized it was actually Saturday.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
I had a dream recently where I was trying to get to sleep, but kept tossing and turning and just couldn't get it to happen. Then I got up, got dressed, took a shower, had breakfast, got in the car, and made it halfway to school before I actually woke up, panicked, and then realized it was actually Saturday.
Ugh. I used to have those dreams, too. Only it went more like this:

I would  get up at my normal time, do school and have an overall productive day, and then I would wake up and realize it was all a dream. When that happens, I'm usually like, "Nope. I'm sleeping in today."

The thing is that it was always on a school  day.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Altermeta Community

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »