Author Topic: getting help, moving foward  (Read 10471 times)

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
Re: getting help, moving foward
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
How about we just pull people out of the way of the bus? Too many people sacrificing themselves to the dread Bus Lords and the fan base will start to become dangerously depleted!
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Altermeta Community

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »
You know that did occur to me, but with my flair for the dramatic it would be difficult not to get myself killed in the process.

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
I'd like to see you keep giving your best. So, please, just... be yourself, OK? I know you're a pretty cool person as far as I know, so I think it's a good thing that you're aware of your shortcomings. Kind of belated at this point, but yeah, keep your cool, be yourself, and perhaps hang out with your buddies or something. You'll learn a thing or two. Expand.

Being university-aged feels very different for me, compared to my high school years. You tend to end up doing some missteps in that time, but I know I can pull through.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
I'd just like to take a moment and say;
We're here, we appreciate what you do, and good luck.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Brunhidden the muse

• Adult Member
  • Kuvling
  • Aint dead yet
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
one of the odd times my paranoia was right- for most of my history speaking to you (admitedly it wasnt in the last year or so) i constantly assumed that i was pestering in that any comments i said were taken badly

then again i usually take comments badly myself, in a way its like having a little gremlin on your shoulder saying things like "your friend hasn't been on IM in three weeks, they must have blocked you because you irritated them cause there's no way they haven't turned on their computer in a month"- its one thing to hear it, and another to listen. i guess getting to the point you recognize its paranoia gremlin talk and not real is good enough, even if you still hear the little bugger

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
It was hard enough to do this page for some reason, I don't know why.  I feel like I've lost so much ability in the past few months.
[taken from another thread so I don't hijack and derail]

You sound like you're in a similar place as I am, miss. Well, maybe more than a few months for me.

I don't let it bother me (much) anymore because I know that some abilities rely on constant use to see ease and expertise emerge. I'm old enough now to have realized I've forgotten things I never thought I'd ever forget and I've had to come to terms with the cycle of learning and forgetting. Those abilities are a huge build up of both conscious and unconscious long-term memories and losing that highly efficient network can happen in many different ways. My misfortune of choice is depression and a long-term inability to sleep properly. I believe I've heard of people who have lost some degree of their ability due to really bad concussions or strokes. Others, from stuff like sports injuries and not able to play because of broken bones or torn muscles.

Anyway, the realization sounds counter-intuitive of course, but the relief comes from knowing that what had been lost can be gained again. Maybe you've heard tales of how 'plastic' our brain really is, cases where patients regained things they once lost, or historical figures that wrestled through periods of darkness and came back stronger than before. Once you've finally found the way to go about your days so you once again have the energy to do the things you need to do, you'll have the constant use and practice to reach new heights again.

One of the steps to getting back to that place is getting rid of the things that bum you out, like that feeling of loss. Sadness and regret is natural but obviously they're also draining and unconstructive while you're sitting in them. So we need to get rid of them. Realization of the problem, acceptance of the loss, and then determination once you've figured out where you need to go from there. In my case I have many problems, so I'm slowly knocking them over like dominoes till there's nothing left to stop me and all I've got left is determination. As they say, big problems are easier to tackle in smaller pieces. We all go at our own pace though. It's up to us to figure ourselves out, not others to tell us what to do (I had a big problem with this too). You can't really force that whole realization/acceptance/determination thing on yourself, but it does help to have some self-awareness of where we're currently at to speed us through a little faster.

So my advise is just try to minimize those things that bum you out so you feel better on a daily basis. And have patience as you try new things to make it work. One of my tricks is to get angry about it and then throw that energy at something more constructive. Even if it's just a little constructive it's better than trying to drown the sadness/regret in things that prevent you from thinking. Sometimes you have to and that's okay, but sometimes we also stay in those idle places for too long. Anyway, anger is usually a bad place to be but when I'm deflecting feelings of sadness/regret with anger my mind is almost always very active, and there is nothing more dangerous to your foes than a crystal clear mind and an angry, spitefully self. (I'm a dummy for not realizing I'm doing contrary to what I just said. We've all got out own ways of dealing with business. Ignore my advice and do what you judge best!)

I apologize if I'm not really spot on with this or it's just old news, and for being a bit of a bummer in this thread. I hope you might find something of use in here, dear Noben :). Do what you gotta do. Getting better is important. *hugs*
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:39:20 PM by SleepingBeau »
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Noben

• A deity among you.
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
    • Altermeta
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
No, you're right.
Gods don't kill people.
People with gods kill people.

Beginning April 5th, 2010...
Official Catgirl Body Count: 36

Offline Noben

• A deity among you.
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
    • Altermeta
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »
An update on this, as I said on twitter, I'm happy to get a schedule assembled more readily and they are things that actually involve other people so it's very productive.

Right now I have three weekly events that I stick to, rain or shine. I look forward to finding more wherever I can arrange it for  long term.   Each one is a different day and it's once again helping me feel like the world has a schedule as well. Some productive, some are just being lazy and having fun with a friend or two.  I've been sleeping regularly, 8 hours at a time, and my bedtime currently is midnight.  Compared to previously whenever I would nearly pass out after 36 hours running on 2 to 4 hours of sleep at a time for YEARS, it's pretty damn wonderful there.   This has been going for two weeks this past Monday.

And I think I mentioned it before, but so far I've lost a LOT of weight in the past year, reason unknown, it just disappeared practically overnight. It seemed that way, heh.  (and  a side effect of that: I get cold SO easily now) ^_^  It worried me some, but its not like I could do anything about anything anyway.

I feel okay, but it comes and goes. I just hope everyone here is okay.

Gods don't kill people.
People with gods kill people.

Beginning April 5th, 2010...
Official Catgirl Body Count: 36

Offline lyfibringer

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Chances are, I love you.
    • Lyfi Universe
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
    Schedules can be very important. When I had nothing to do, I would pull the same sort of stunts, stay up too late and then not sleep and be screwed. That sort of stability is good, the brain likes that. The body adjusts as well.

All in all, yay! Best of luck to you and your new timing, sleepy, wakey thing-y? Whatever, I just woke up. Your Caz, go kick ass!

Offline Draque

• Kuvvie
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
Heyo, glad to hear that things are looking up over on your end. Stuff to look forward to has been one the biggest things that has helped me in the past, just in terms of keeping my motivation alive.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »
Yay! :D
I wish I could get my sleep schedule where I want it, but I'm glad yours is at least being consistent now! 36h/4h doesn't sound like fun xP
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"