Author Topic: Criticisms of the rest of the world.  (Read 39126 times)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
Re: Criticisms of the rest of the world.
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2015, 05:07:58 AM »
Well, we do have

-self-serve consoles of varying automation at some stores
-skimmer-craft that look like something out of Command&Conquer:Red Alert, called GEV (ground effect vehicles, or WIG vehicles(wing in ground)) http://youtu.be/LSeZ1eQzDvI?t=1m22s
-handheld communication devices that can access the whole of humanities digitized knowledge, with sensors enough to actually be comparable to the Star Trek tricorders
-space ships and satellites powered by ion thrusters and other traditionally sci-fi technologies http://youtu.be/grU8g9jnS4w
-manufacturing and assembly robots capable of turning plain blocks of metal into machines http://youtu.be/4TOotC_Q3sU?t=21s - http://youtu.be/R46x6k2wieU?t=12s
-remote surgery using portable robotic surgery units http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_surgery
-water repellent clothing http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-dwr.html
-virtual reality that takes over your senses http://youtu.be/z1s1wDPE4tM?t=4m26s - http://youtu.be/-RehCTRrWM0?t=2m40s (warning, they're both kind of lengthy)
-math and information theory that unveils aspects, even worlds, of reality that are hidden from view, to such a degree that these things seem humanly unknowable to most people.

If you read science journals and knew enough to guess what kind of things the future of science and tech potentially has in store for us, I believe you would be WELL satisfied, heh.

But this a criticism thread, I suppose. I guess what criticism I have is...humanity's lack of investment in education, on both a societal AND individual level. If more people supported it strongly enough, more people would have it. And if more people had it, more people would support it. But first we need to get to the level of education and self-awareness that we as a species could support that feedback loop of education and improvement. Like so many potentially awesome advancements, we are limited by our current state of awesome advancements. (unrelated neat tidbit from a short-film I watched recently: "To understand recursion, you must understand recursion")
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Altermeta Community

« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2015, 05:07:58 AM »

Offline Valrejn

• Adult Member
  • Hatchling
  • Raar
    • Renegade Workshop
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
-handheld communication devices that can access the whole of humanities digitized knowledge, with sensors enough to actually be comparable to the Star Trek tricorders

I already see people never bothering to learn anything for themselves because they can get the information they want at the time instantly.  Nevermind the problem on verifying the information is accurate/correct.  I see a future where everyone is dependent upon using these devices to function in society, but has no knowledge on how to actually create/repair them or any of the underlying technologies that support them.
--Val
"Hi!  Are you food?"

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
If there were to happen it would more likely be a class of people who are like that (and there already is). There is too much knowledge that requires a deep understanding of the underlying principles to even begin to understand. Our short-term memory has a very limited capacity in holding together large constructs of ideas. 'Smart' people like scientists just have most of it already loaded into their long-term memory.

People who never bother to learn anything, or never bother to learn more, have always existed and use all kinds of reasons that don't hold up to scrutiny to justify their ignorance, although usually it's ignorance itself that holds them back; You can't do what you don't know. (for the record, ignorance can be either our fault, or a consequence of our environment/circumstance that we have no control over. ignorance isn't inherently a bad mark on a person. we don't punish babies for their ignorance. they can't help it, so we teach them what they are able to learn.. which is a great model for behavior when interacting with the ignorance in other grown adults)

But anyway, I believe that humans are too wired toward survival to let a dystopia like that come to pass. We might approach a danger point like that, but I believe we recognize both the danger as well as the incentives and we would bounce back. The only situation in which I believe such a disaster could happen is if some cataclysmic event occurred or some kind of organized power took control of all material knowledge and knowledged people and kept a very large class of people from accessing any of those resources.
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2015, 04:14:43 AM »
In the US, the Federal Communications Committee (FCC) just legally reclassified broadband internet as 25 Megabits per second (Mb/s). Jessica Rosenworcel, a politician involved, bevives the FCC should have aimed higher and many including myself agree. It kinda sucks to live in the US right now, as far as ISPs are concerned... Since most of the main ones are pushing to maintain the same limited bandwidth that is increasingly struggling to keep up with today's data requirements. Sigh.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
That's just... Wow...
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
Yeah, the ISP's have had the FCC in their pocket for years and years now.
I think I'm more or less ranted out on the American internet oligopoly though, so no wall of text today :P
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2015, 01:14:32 AM »
Canada has to deal with similar issues. Unofficial throttling (want to torrent something? oops, we're having issues and your bandwidth has magically disappeared), ridiculous prices, hidden limits, dense usage in areas that aren't going to see any hardware improvements in awhile (and still billing you for the idealized bandwidth rates you'll never see!), VERY low upload limits, constant pushing to 'newer and improved!' service plans that end up costing you more.

Also, our cell phone servicing is absolute balls. Probably the most expensive in the world, and an extra charge if you want to set your WAN connection as a hotspot (connecting to the internet on your computer through your cellphones connection).

There's also a bit of a monopoly going on with the infrastructure. It was initially put down as a government project (paid by taxpayers) and then given to some corporation to use and manage. Apparently it's extremely difficult to get into the market and so there is no competition or alternatives. Most ISPs are just umbrella corporations and their pricing is a collusion to pretend like all their different services are 'competitive' and offer something different.

IMO this is a slight bit more ridiculous than the business going on in the US because the population in Canada is a lot more concentrated around our fewer population centers. To give an idea of how easy it *SHOULD* be to set up an effective ISP, there's a small town in Alberta province that has a full fiber connection to every resident. The company that runs it is owned by the residents of the town, so it's pretty much setup like an essential service.

Sigh... Profiting off of essential services is such balls. The same junk going on with ISPs in big cities is happening with electricity services in many smaller towns around Canada. From what my uncle tells of it, it sounds a lot like how thugs run 'protection' services.

Don't care if people call me a commie but the amount of corruption, and what is essentially cannibalism, that goes on in our worlds of capitalism creates so many problems that I question how much progress can truly be accomplished if we're always spending so much time and energy dealing with all these internal, fabricated problems.

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:11 AM »
You've struck a chord with your hotspot talk. I distinctly remember AT&T trying to charge us for that service and I remember thinking, "What difference does it make to them? As long as I don't go over my data limit it should be the same difference on their end." Can someone explain how that works? To me it seems like they're charging you to use a service that your phone is capable of and requires nothing extra or new from them. It would be tantamount to having Ford charge you to use the bluetooth connectivity in your car. At least that's how it seems to me.

As to the Government control of certain enterprises I guess I'm sort of for it on a small scale trial basis. Unfortunately everyone is really paranoid in the states right now about that sort of bunk especially when it comes to healthcare. The Government has done a pretty mediocre job of managing pretty much everything else like money, postal service, etc. Anything that's managed on too large a scale seems to turn out badly

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2015, 05:27:50 AM »
There's a specific name for skeevy business tactics like charging for cellphone tethering, but I can't remember it right now.

They're basically just charging you for invented services and products. If there is no perfectly clear laws that state that they aren't allowed to do it, and/or the cost of punishment doesn't affect profitability too much, they're going to do it. And if the average consumer doesn't understand what it is they're paying for, all the better.

Another scummy tactic they do is called...well I can't remember the official term, again, but what it is is purposely complicating, obfuscating, or otherwise obstructing the tasks you have to perform that would lead to them losing money. They'll make it more difficult to reach repair and warranty services. Add pointless steps for manually paying off your bills. Make it next to impossible to disable and opt out of money-making services. Hide important clauses in their terms-of-service. Make the process of changing or leaving ISPs as painful as possible. Weasel their way out of good warranty service. Making it too expensive or time consuming to correct grievances. Etc etc....

Imagine you're just a little managerial fish in a big business with next to no punishment for immoral practices. If you want a raise you need to figure out a way to make your bosses more money. Well it's a big company and all the clean and easy solutions are already made. So, you start looking. You really want that raise so you really work your brain over. These business people are living in twisted environments in which the concerns of societal well-being are both not a concern and completely opposite to financial success.

Due to certain people I know, I'm aware of the kind of shenanigans going on in a few areas of Canadian banking. Banking is the biggest industry in the world, and the word in the office is essentially a quiet "Don't get caught". It's a culture/environment that changes all but the most stubborn to just get away with whatever you can. The infrastructure is outdated, and hacked and patched to get everything more-or-less functional working. Even for standard work, "Good Enough" tends to be alright, which gets you in the mindset of just doing whatever you can get away with. It's not that big a step away from taking advantage of people and the system. I mean, it's not as if every single person working at a bank is corrupt. Some positions do to call for upstandingly moral characters, but there are enough corrupt employees that a lot of people go unpunished because otherwise they would have to investigate and punish a whole bunch of other people, and it's just less costly to let it go.

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »
Well I saw some statistic on net but I thought they are fakes.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2015, 04:49:18 AM »
Here in California, a 65Mb/s connection will cost around $110 per month in some areas. Even with this top tier plan, the upstream rate can be 8Mb/s peak. Why can't Europe share their prices? :p

Also I suppose it kinda sucks to if you want to purchase PC parts in UK or Australia, since they are sometimes quite a bit more expensive at some retailers... Thoughts on worldwide prices?

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2015, 08:13:37 AM »
Just checking: You're not confusing megabytes with megabits, right? ISP's tend to advertise bandwidth rates in megabit units. Megabyte is is typically use for storage and data-transfer rates on computers. The conversion rate is [1 megabyte(MB) : 1 megabit(Mb)], which would mean 8MB/s is a pretty good rate on a 65Mbps bandwidth. I don't understand the issues well enough to tell you why one is used over the other, though.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »
No, I am talking in Megabits. =) (I'm one of those people who get slightly annoyed when others get it wrong, since it's confusing.) The connection plan I was talking about was 65Mb/s down and up to 8 up.
Our friends in South Korea and Europe can get in upwards of 100Mb/s down and 25 up. :|
I believe the ISP use megabits because of a couple of legacy reasons, changing would bring more confusion, and the knowledge that some poor consumer would get it wrong and buy.

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »
Oops! I misread where you wrote "the upstream rate..".

Yeah...the piddly consumer upload rates are terrible. Even just to play video games I found that you had to get a service plan with nearly 2x the download rate you needed to get a high enough upload rate to host games with acceptable latency.

I'm not sure if the 'bit' falls under the legacy category. A bit is single unit of digital information. Bytes are simply a very useful grouping of bits. So long as the byte exists, so too will the bit. It just depends on the context of whether bytes or bits are what's primary used. In the case of ISP's though, I wouldn't be surprised if they're purposely obfuscating. In UI design, the number of user actions required to do get to where they need is often taken into account. Less overall user action = more efficient.

Conversely, if you DON'T want your users getting somewhere, the obvious tactic would be to decrease the efficiency as much as possible. It's kind of like tower defense in a large open field. You want to funnel your enemy(consumers) into your kill(profit!) zones, but not create enough resistance that too many of them circumvent(leave) your labyrinth(service). This is a very effective business tactic because it's very difficult to fight back against, and likely very expensive or, in some cases, impossible to regulate or punish.

I mean, I have no idea if this IS what they're doing, but a good consumer oriented service should be quick and easy to deal with, with minimal interaction. Getting calls about 'upgrading' your service package or having to comb through miles of bullshit to opt out of things very few people want after every new iteration of user agreement documentation...

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »
Stealth Thread Revival Everywhere!!!!!! XD
More stuff to criticize...
I heard in the news recently that someone in California US, proposed a bill that would make being LGBT a capital offense. Thankfully, the chief justice I believe, vows to strike it down as unconstitutional if it it makes it pass state congress for some reason.

My opinion: Crazy, will not pass, and DA fuq? Really? It goes to show that even in a state widely regarded as liberal and open, there will always be at least a few radicals.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »