Author Topic: The PhotoShop-GIMP transition  (Read 1824 times)

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
The PhotoShop-GIMP transition
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:19 AM »
A while back I learned how to use PS in school and didn't have time or money to get the latest creative suite so I downloaded GIMP instead but I didn't have to use it, so I didn't.
More recently I've had a little more time to devote to art and decided to try something in GIMP. Coming from PhotoShop, I had to figure how to use GIMP. After about half an hour I got tired of looking for tools and things and went off to do other things.

Does anyone know of any decent tutorials or have any GIMP tips? It's been too long.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Altermeta Community

The PhotoShop-GIMP transition
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:19 AM »

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
Re: The PhotoShop-GIMP transition
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
I've really only used it a little... and mostly for converting things into .png and clearing out the background so not really.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
I much prefer Paint Tool Sai for drawing. For messing around with photos, I'm pretty much in the same boat; I have GIMP from a while ago, but I've never really figured out how to use it. Difference is I've never had nor used Photoshop.
I do occasionally use a program for Mac called Pixelmator, which is supposed to be somewhat like Photoshop but with a few less features. I find it much more intuitive than GIMP personally. I recently used it to paste my face over Weird Al's...
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »
I prefer Photoshop, we had it at college when I was there so I had opportunities to use it.  Features are much easier to find, but still hard in general.  I never became anything close to even proficient at it but it served it's purpose. 

My big beef with GIMP is that the color replace tool was near impossible to find, and when I did it didn't let me set the tolerance.  For various reasons I had a green screen set up in my living room.  In Photoshop keying out the green was a snap, in GIMP it would only replace once color so if the screen wasn't perfectly flat, which is impossible, then it would only remove the pixels that were an identical color. 

Fortunately Photoshop 8 came with a drawing tablet that I purchased (realistically was probably a bad decision) so I have it without paying the nuts amount of money they ask for as a stand-alone.

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:01 AM »
GIMP's user interface is kludgy at best and a disaster at worst. It's like they didn't care about the user experience.

Even if I couldn't really use Photoshop, I still have Paint.NET. The only problem I have with it seems to be the fact that it's dependent on .NET Framework, so it means no (well-performing) non-Windows ports.

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »
GIMP is free so, arguably, there's less encouragement to put it together in a manner that makes sense to most people.