Author Topic: Run program: Evacuation  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Brunhidden the muse

• Adult Member
  • Kuvling
  • Aint dead yet
Run program: Evacuation
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
hey there, its me, the bad news brun

no im not hoping for a pity party, although my history reads like thats more common than birthday parties

to prove im not all gloom before i get to the unpleasantries i will preemptively distract with photos from my recent art gallery showing, provided i figured out how to size the damned things

no, no i dont know how to size the damned things

well, it turns out that about two weeks ago while hanging plastic window insulation in my apartment i detected mold in some parts of the apartment. initially i thought it was no big deal and prepared to clean, however this was not doable. as my wife and elder daughter are allergic to mold we reached the decision that we had to evacuate, considering my wifes bed was harboring nice green growths inside and my daughters dresser had greyish blotches along the underside of each drawer- explaining their rampant health problems for the last three months, and what we had assumed was pinkeye in my other daughter.

so, as the only one -presumably- unaffected i have spent the last week and probably at least one or two weeks to come trying to salvage furniture and belongings from our mold infested apartment. we just yesterday moved our essentials to a new slightly more expensive apartment, we had been living in my mother-in-laws living room for about five days. the new place is a bedroom smaller, but all around a nicer place and has three times the counter space in the kitchen and even a dishwasher so im not that upset. however we have to date lost at least two dressers, several boots, two leather coats, my wife and i have lost our bed, and an assortment of items under suspicion i have yet to scrub with vinegar and vodka in my scant free time. also we have no internet, so theres that

hopefully i will return shortly, to inflict my whimsical presence on the unsuspecting

Altermeta Community

Run program: Evacuation
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
Re: Run program: Evacuation
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Damn... mold can produce nasty toxins. Be careful.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
Carefully does it Brunhidden.  =(

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »
Look at the bright side. You now have an excuse to buy more booze.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:17:19 AM »
Brunhidden, save the vodka. Soap and water will do the job just fine. I'd suggest maybe Dawn dishwashing soap. You can have a shot of vodka between cleaning jobs, you know, as a motivator!

Some motivator!!
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:56:12 AM »
One thing an inspector once told me: "Mold likes the wet, and the warm. Keep dry and there will me no problem."

I find that dish soap is ok at fighting mold, but a water-bleach mix does the job quite well. Except for the fact that it ruins things one is trying to save. "Bleach is for mass cleanup only."

Hope you get mold-free soon! =)
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
The problem with using bleach is that you expose yourself to the chemicals that are in it. Breathing bleach fumes for a while can start to mess you up. Soap and water is the preferred method.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »
The problem with using bleach is that you expose yourself to the chemicals that are in it. Breathing bleach fumes for a while can start to mess you up. Soap and water is the preferred method.
*cough ahem cough* Meet the Pyro *cough cough*

I only use bleach on concrete outside anyways... The spray soaps also work nicely for clearing mold.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Brunhidden the muse

• Adult Member
  • Kuvling
  • Aint dead yet
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
okay, clearing out the old place is about 90% done, i should hopefully be finished by the weekend

damage report

lost items
- queen sized mattress
- queen sized bedframe/drawers/headboard setup
- childrens mattress
- 3 dressers
- couch
- rocking recliner easy chair
- bookshelf
- oversize leather bracers (i have basically popeye forearms)
- a large box of fabrics
- a few posters
- nightstand of horrors
- unknown number of assorted books, mostly children's books
- laptop bag full of candy instead of a laptop

possibly lost but not confirmed
- another bookshelf
- large cloth bag for the carrying of humorously oversized architecture drawing pads
- two backpacks
- unknown number of iffy books, mostly fiction, as i have no idea how to clean a book
- sanity
- two boxes of baking supplies
- a few costumes, including my emergency pirate pants... yes, you heard me
- a small ammount of booze which may have been exposed to contaminants
- several pillows
- nightstand

luckily someone my mother in law knows was putting their own mother in an old folks home and thought it would help remove the temptation to stay of most of he furniture 'disappeared', so we are now in possession of a surprisingly hard bed, a disturbingly floral couch, and a his/hers dresser that has strangely little internal space despite its size and a very large mirror attached. fortunately i know how to get 'old people' smell off of things, but in either case it sure beats the floor

the to do list now includes getting the cable/internet set up, finding out how to dispose of large and heavy furniture, finding out how to dispose of a 40+ inch old CRT television i had been using as a table without getting a fine or a hernia, lining up gifts for shiny tree day, paying the overdue rent on the old place as i cant afford rent at both places

i shall have closing statements soon, im glad people showed interest in help.

what? nobody wanted to comment on the strange art gallery thing? would you preffer i draw something for your ammusement?

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:21 AM »
Glad to hear things are starting to work out. As far as the art goes, with the talk of mold and how to get rid of it, I completely forgot! Sorry. 

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
As someone who works in a library... mouldy books really can't be reliably fixed. The mould tends to recur and it spreads - we immediately quarrantine any suspect items, generally sealing them in plastic, and if they are mouldy then they're a danger to the rest of the collection and have to go - and anything near them is carefully checked.

It really sucks :(

I hope you manage to eradicate that mould.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:23:39 AM »
I like the art Brun!

On the mold thing: Good luck! I used to have a basement that leaked really bad in heavy rains, and for a few years we live with near constant levels of mold.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."