Author Topic: New faces  (Read 5802 times)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
New faces
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »
Hello there ladies and gents. I'm a few posts in, I figure I should make a proper introduction sometime.

I've been a reader of Altermeta since nearly the start. Caught it when it made it's appearance on thewebcomiclist.com, when the long list of comics on there wasn't quite so daunting. The cute characters and great jokes got me hooked. I've also been a fan of the type of dialogue Ruth-like characters enjoy dishing. Diatribe is the word, I believe. Always so colorful and wordy, and hilarious in it's seriousness. I'm a pretty self-contained and independent person, I don't really seek out big crowds of people, so I never really thought to join up here on the forums until recently.

I'm a mechanical engineer by schooling and a learner of all things by interest. I used to be quite the sport enthused person when it came to paintball but cheating and money-grabbing make for poor sportsmanship. Also, as per the stereotype I do enjoy rollerblading (and other good healthy activities) as much as boy kisses. Girl kisses are nice too, though. And [Other, please specify]. I'm pretty open about all of it.

I'm also a bit of an oldschool gammer. I grew up playing the impossible challenges that used to make up the gaming industry and I'm spoiled by the old classics that could no longer exist in the current gaming climate. Or maybe that's just the old man in me talking about the good old days. (I'm not actually that old). I watch movies and read books when I can. No TV though. The only thing I dislike more than commercials is the rigid 1 hour (minus commercials) episodic format that fixes so many plots to the same exact storyline. Thus my love-affair with books and webcomics, stories that can elucidate so much more detail and development than TV and cinema. With a few exceptions of course. Anyway, I've just started the Ringworld series by Larry Niven after finishing the Game of Thrones series and a good chunk of the Ender's Saga (Ender's Game and all that).

And hmm...am I a furry? Honestly I don't know. I've written into personal journals since the beginning of high school and long before I even knew what a furry was, as part of artistic freedom I started writing about the different aspects within myself as separate entities, all clamoring over control. An elephant to care and remember, a wolf to embody mindless aggression and hunger, an eagle to be my watchful eye and scholar, a coyote to dance playfully under the moon and cackle insane things into the night, and a dragon to be something deeper and terrible. I can't exactly remember them all but I had started to view them as real parts of myself as a self-entertaining poetic twist. It was good fun and all but it does odd things to your mind. Anyway I did, for a time, call myself a furry but I grew out of that and maybe now I just use the lines of communication to express something that couldn't otherwise be so colorfully said. Of course, I don't have anything against furries. The things that 'furry' was to me just means something else now.

And that's a little about me. As you can see I tend to enjoy writing a lot as much as I enjoy writing, which is a lot. Word play is fun! (a shame my habits cultured in writing, academia and engineering prevent me from being more succinct). So is playing off my possible insanity. Twist the tongue and twist the mind and soon your thoughts shall all be mine, muahahaha! (jk...?!)
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Altermeta Community

New faces
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
Re: New faces
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:21:44 AM »
Welcome, oh eloquent one.  May your visit be enjoyable and those to whom you speak be as friends.

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »
:New member sequence is activating#
  :Dispatch Welcome cart>
  :Dispatch Snackmobile>
  :Dispatch Balloon Greeter>
  :Dispatch the Hugger'>
  :Do not release Kraken>
  :Do not pass 'go' and collect 200$
  -------------------------------------

Welcome Sleeping Beau' Great to have you with us.

All silliness will route to this thread for appx 72 hours...

:lol:

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »
I am compelled to respond lengthily, but I find difficulty in doing so as my computer is currently out of commission and I am thusly limited to the tiny touch-screen keyboard of my Nintendo 3DS. Hence and therefore, I shall be succinct.

To welcome you to the form, I offer as a gift your choice of Altermeta plushies including CC, Jo, Boo, Pirate!T-square and Agnes (Ltd. Ed.), Rum-Wench!Sasha (Ltd. Ed.), and our most recent addition, Doris!
For security purposes, the plushies are being stored in a secret, off-site location, and will be delivered by drone once you make your order.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »
I think people tend not to mind lengthy posts as long as something is actually being said and rambling does not enter into the equation. That being said I can already tell you're going to add to the amount of time it takes me to check up on AM every evening, since I love AM I foresee no issues. I look forward to reading more and I humbly welcome you to these the labyrinthian Altermeta forums.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
*makes an offer of a shiny red welcome balloon*

Heavens above, give me a nice long post over a two word post ANY day.

For what it's worth I'm currently reading Kat Walker's Greywalker series - great to find a paranormal mystery series with a female heroine that isn't an excuse for excessive... er... romance.

Welcome to the forum and please don't step in the chaos, it gets tracked all through the place and then nothing makes sense.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »
*tosses confetti in the air*

Welcome to the coziest of corners on the internet! Here there be dragons
I'll be honest, you're about the first mechanical engineer I've met outside of school, so a high five for that! I actually see a lot of myself up there in your post come to think of it.
So from a fellow bookworm/mechie/information-sponge, welcome, and if you need anything there's always hands on deck to help you out!
As for me, I'll be up in the crow's nest whenever I'm not piloting for the plushie delivery service.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
Welcome to this corner of the internet!

I must stay this was one hell of a detailed introduction.

Be warned: Any food left unattended will be devoured by shadowy forum lurkers.
*returns to the shadows stealing Boo plushies*
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
Haha what a welcome. Thank you everyone.

I'm not much for plushies but I'll accept the mini CC to guard over the last vestiges of my infanthood that I keep on a shelf. I figure she'd be the most universally capable and willing to the task. Thank you mister The-Wolf. 5 year old me's little plush lamb is most gracious for the gift.

Oh, I forgot I should mention my french side! Any francophones in the crowd? Je n'ai pas eu de bonne practique depuit un long temp mais ca me fait toujours plaisir a expresse la language de mes annee tot. Haha et alors je me sens besoin d'excuse mont vocabulair bizarre et plaint d'erreur. XD

Anyway if it pleases y'all, you can call me simply Beau. It rhymes with 'Oh', if you'd like the proper pronunciation. *Waits for a reply of jokingly acknowledging and experimenting "Ohhhhhh!"s* First one to get a determinant (good) enough guess at what this name means gets to know the first letter of my real name :3. Don't be too discouraged if you don't get it, it's likely only to be gotten by fluke.

@confusedcious - Heh, I had no idea that was a problem. I'm sure that was quite the refreshing find.

@Jchan1e - *High five!* You'll forgive me for asking but how does one pronounce your name? A spoken name truly does have some power and significance. In the absence of a voice and face, the mental sound of a name can be just as representative of a being so I apologize but I'm having troubling sounding yours out, heh. As far as mech engi stuff goes, what kind of stuff do you dabble in? One thing I learned is that even within one field of engineering, the type of work can potentially do is as varied as all the fields of engineering itself. Hmm, I'd have also made the safe assumption that you're a redditor but I don't see any of the cultural artifacts from that place in your writing. Also, are flywheels awesome or what?

Oh and feel free to ask me whatever you like. The more conversation the better! Some of my friends jokingly say I can read minds, but it does help to get a bit of a read on y'all.
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
Hey Beau! Welcome to the mayhem! :)

I'm Lisbon, and I hand out Welcome Popcorn. I've been working on this for quite sometime, so I hope you enjoy it! I'm Acme Products customer of the month. Seems I've ordered more product than Willie Coyote! The way the bag works, is that it starts as regular plain popcorn, but quickly transitions to your favorite kind before transitioning a second time to whatever you want! It's also bottomless, thanks to a portable hole integrated into the bottom of the bag. Just be careful when you get down to the bottom. A very low percentage of the bags have experienced...... issues with the portable linking to a wormhole in the space/time continuum. The black hole was a one time event, and Cthulhu was sealed away after a sacrifice of fish fingers and custard. Oh, and that light at the bottom of the bag is just the 10:15 train to Albuquerque. Pay it no mind. :)

*slips Dreaker a $50 bill with instructions to get him a Doris plushie on his next Boo plushie raid*

As for your name, I'm guessing it's the first thing you see when you wake up in the morning? Your sleeping beau?
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »
@Jchan1e - *High five!* You'll forgive me for asking but how does one pronounce your name? A spoken name truly does have some power and significance. In the absence of a voice and face, the mental sound of a name can be just as representative of a being so I apologize but I'm having troubling sounding yours out, heh. As far as mech engi stuff goes, what kind of stuff do you dabble in? One thing I learned is that even within one field of engineering, the type of work can potentially do is as varied as all the fields of engineering itself. Hmm, I'd have also made the safe assumption that you're a redditor but I don't see any of the cultural artifacts from that place in your writing. Also, are flywheels awesome or what?

I like you already x)

My name is most often pronounced Jay Chan (incidentally this is also the name of my character/'sona) and people usually just leave off the "1e". Except this one guy who decided to call me J-chan-first-edition xD

Mechanical engineering, oh my goodness. All of the options ever! I'm most interested in doing component design. I like cars, but really I'd be just as happy designing parts for an autonomous volcano-climbing spider-bot as I would designing read-write heads for hard disks. Probably. Actually I'd probably like doing the volcano-bot job a little more. That said I'm still a student, and I'm not sure at this point whether I should get my degree in mechanical or comp sci. I'm good at both, but I'm still deciding on which I'd rather have as a career.
At the end of the day though, my conclusion is that flywheels and Ackerman linkages are awesome, and so is Python.

I do like making internet references, but all my references come from things like webcomics or gifs that people link to me. Some of hte mannerisms may have rubbed off on me indirectly, but I don't browse Reddit, nor do I think I want to; I lose enough productive hours to the internet already! x)
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
*walks up to Beau holding a clipboard and a pen as the roar of a jet engine is heard overhead and a laser-guided cardboard box falls out of the sky, landing at his feet* Sign here, please.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
*tries to hit the drone with a GPS bug to track its location*
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
*the drone evades and afterburns out of range*

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:30 PM »
@Lisbon Virgo - Unfortunately that isn't so :). But thank you for popcorn. Popcorn and french pastry. Who'd have known it'd taste so good? I'll stay away from the bottom, however. The statistical likelihood that the wormhole won't instantly kill me is so far beyond negligible I don't even feel a tinkling of my usual curiosity.

@Jchan1e - Oh baby, keep whispering them sweet kinematic nothings in my ear <3. Nowadays that linkage isn't terribly complex to innovate, but 200 years ago...that's something else. My own favorite is the Peaucellier Linkage, about 150 years ago. My uncle has a huge machine in his workshop, probably 10 feet long, 5 feet wide and 7 feet tall, and on each end is a Peaucellier linkage (the straight line drawn by the linkage is horizontal) which holds a horizontal beam that stretches the 10 feet length. Off one side of the beam is a counterweight to the 8 machining heads on the other. The bank of machining heads is also set on a rectangular 4-bar linkage so it can swing left and right. So, so long as everything is counterweighted and set properly, the whole head-assembly (several tonnes in weight) can move around in 3 axis with just the force of your pinky and if you let it go it the whole assembly tends to a straighten out to a nice comfortable spot out of your. It's like magic...and I'm sure that description isn't enough to do it justice haha. Big heavy stuff moving with the shove of a pinky.

Quite the conundrum though. mech E or comp sci. I've had that same problem, to a degree. But that's a big long story and I'll leave it for another time :D.

@RichTheWolf257 - *Folds one arm across his chest and taps his finger on his chin for a moment before a black shadow with red eyes bursts out of him and bites off the bottom of the clipboard* Teehee...oops. ^^! Let me just put him away while I decide what name to sign.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:30 PM »