Author Topic: I'm pissed.  (Read 12528 times)

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
Re: I'm pissed.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »
I dislike it when people bend my charging cables, because eventually the wires inside break... :|

Integrated battery vs detachable battery?
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Altermeta Community

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
Both when I'm cycling... I've been through a bunch of cables though. I got a charger with a detachable USB cable. Means I only have to buy the cable, not the whole damn charger.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 04:44:19 AM »
I think Apple had a great idea with the magnetized chargers, when you yank on 'em they just pull away no hassle no harm. I really don't know why someone didn't implement it sooner unless the cost is prohibitive.

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
I believe the problem was that they're very inefficient. They're actually called induction chargers. They generate a small magnetic field around them but anything within the magnetic field, even air, has a resistance to the magnetic field which drains the battery. Obviously air won't drain very much but other stuff, even components within the charger and the device you're charging will drain some energy. So, the trouble was both getting the cost low enough and having the demand high enough to pay for the complicated engineering required to make it efficient.

Just to give you an idea of some crazy stuff electromagnetic induction can do: http://youtu.be/Q6Zrnv4OtbU Yep. It's really levitating.

Sooo, if they're not properly made with all kinds of safeties and backups, induction chargers can be really dangerous and start fires which is reaaaally something you don't want on a device you're going to leave plugged in essentially 24/7.
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:23 AM »
I believe the problem was that they're very inefficient. They're actually called induction chargers. They generate a small magnetic field around them but anything within the magnetic field, even air, has a resistance to the magnetic field which drains the battery. Obviously air won't drain very much but other stuff, even components within the charger and the device you're charging will drain some energy. So, the trouble was both getting the cost low enough and having the demand high enough to pay for the complicated engineering required to make it efficient.

Just to give you an idea of some crazy stuff electromagnetic induction can do: http://youtu.be/Q6Zrnv4OtbU Yep. It's really levitating.

Sooo, if they're not properly made with all kinds of safeties and backups, induction chargers can be really dangerous and start fires which is reaaaally something you don't want on a device you're going to leave plugged in essentially 24/7.
No no no... :) What Liram meant are Apple's 'MagSafe' charging plugs, which are standard contact plugs attached with solid embaded magnets rather than with a spring or barred plug found on most other comparable machines. Basicly magnets hold them in rather than clips, allowing the cable to be pulled away harmlessly from most angles.

As far as Indection Chargers go, I mostly consider them expensive play-things due to their gross inefficiency. ;) Though most induction chargers turn themselves off if no device is detected nearby, any HDD unlucky enough to be nearby will most likely be erased.

I think Apple had a great idea with the magnetized chargers, when you yank on 'em they just pull away no hassle no harm. I really don't know why someone didn't implement it sooner unless the cost is prohibitive.
Agreed, I'm intreged that no other company has made anything directly comparable. A family member of mine has an asus tablet with a 'safe pull out' plug with no locking prongs and it drives me nuts! Just moving the darn thing around on a table is enough to pull it out.

As far as cost goes, each plug isn't more than a few USD to manufacture, though there may be patents or other nonsense involved.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
Ohhh, yeah okay I know which one he was referring to, now, thanks! I don't use Apple products much and it's been awhile since I last saw those magnetic connectors.

Though most induction chargers turn themselves off if no device is detected nearby,...

Aye, getting it to activate for only the appropriate objects is just one of the many engineering problems that would have needed to be solved. I'd a guess that the simplest thing would be to have a sensor that only activates from very specific signals that are unique to Apple products. Like I said before, you'd need a gigantic mass production of products and some unique culture (as well as plenty of expensive lawyers) to see success out of proprietary accessories. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple also has many arrangements with big electronics manufacturers to only produce Apple compatible electronics stuff for Apple :P.

One of the downfalls of the magnetic connectors is that it's a magnet. Many professionals and hobbyists would consider it annoying. I know a lot of mechanical engineers hate it. How annoying would it be for a colleague to come by with his laptop to your desk and accidentally walk away with bunch of tiny parts you've been working on, or magnetizing something you reaaally don't want magnetized. It also means that you're stuck with a proprietary piece of hardware. Chargers aren't cheap :(. So long as the output voltage is correct, you can use any standard charger with any device that has the very standard charger port. And then that's also a point of frustration for the vendor. They don't want you buying used and refurbished stuff from those small time computer shops. They make no money off that :P. There's a whole lot more to it, of course, but in general you wouldn't see the success a lot of Apple products have without the gigantic corporation to support them. That's not a very new or 'bad' concept really. It's just annoying to the people the products don't cater to :P
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
It's a matter of fine tuning just how strong the magnet needs to be. It doesn't take all that much to hold in the metal on the end of the charging cable, and in my experience at least, I've never walked away from a desk with bits and pieces stuck to the corner of my laptop. It just isn't nearly strong enough to damage magnetic storage either. It's a great idea that turned into a great feature. My issue with it is the patents. Apple just loooves their patents, but that means no one else can put a magnetic disconnect on a charger. I'd love to see magnetic connectors on every mobile device made today, but Apple would rather everybody just use Apple tech and nothing else. xP  Trying to patent wedge-shaped laptops? really?
[/rant]
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Astrobia

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Totally not leading you into a trap...
    • http://Pending
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
I've actually been researching making some homebrew induction chargers I can permanently attach to protect the ports... Some strategically placed magnets would help lining up properly when placed in the charger port. Hmm...
~"Icecream is love."~