Author Topic: Altermeta Daily User Journal 2014 Edition  (Read 48192 times)

Offline archetype

• Kuvling
  • BONER DONOR
Re: Altermeta Daily User Journal 2014 Edition
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

P.S., Hell froze over the other day. Hell, Michigan, at least.

[jayz]
If you're having weather problems,
I feel bad for you son.
I got 99 problems and the temperature is 1.

[/jayz]

I haven't seen moves this smooth since the DDR Massacre of '98...

Altermeta Community

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:18 AM »
Went with my mom to her gynecologist today and dutifully asked if she wanted me to come back with her, luckily she said no. Went and saw the Titanic exhibit. I was assigned a passenger and thankfully my guy died like a gentleman and allowed the women and children to board the boats. Then I came home and reworked the wireless network in the house so we can watch netflix in the den. All in all, a rather meh day.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
Pretty normal day today. Work - catalogue work, troubleshooting and other bits and pieces. Went cycling too. Next week promises horrible high temperatures until at least Thursday so I want to do the mileage while weather permits. A week of 39, 41, 41, 43 Celsius is just nasty. Hope it cools down that weekend as I want to do the 50km leg of a charity event but I don't deal with high temperatures very well.

Also reading Raising Steam, the latest Discworld book. Amazed the library got it to me this fast. I usually buy that series but I am low on bookshelves until I get them out of my parents' garage. Might be worth figuring out which ebook platform does the best combination of price and conditions.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
Scientists detected increased solar flare activity yesterday, and predicted that the Northern Lights would move south last night. As far south as northern Colorado. I got up at midnight to see them. The adventure that followed is as follows:

Midnight: I got out of bed, and bundled up. Jammies, a blanket around my legs, scarf, ear warmer, hoodie, and my bathrobe. I grabbed a camp chair from the garage and went outside. It took me a few tries to get a good vantage point.

~0010-0015: It started to snow, so I went back inside and got my umbrella. By the time I got back out, it had stopped.

~0030: The clouds cleared up. No sign of the Auroras.

0130: My toes sarted to freeze, so I came inside to warm up.

0155: I went back outside, hoping to get lucky.  Original plan was to  stay out till 0400, weather permitting, but the weather didn't permit.

0156: The wind kicked up and the clouds rolled back in, so I called it a night and went back to bed, cold and disappointed. Meanwhile on Cavris...

Risha Kalsyhan [January 10th] 7014
Dear Diary,
A solar flare hit last night. Scientists expected the Auroras to be visible as far south as Star Rock Falls. I was so excited! Me and my buddies bundled up and hiked up to Hangout Hill, thermoses of all manner of hot drinks in hand. Alexain & Mulligan & Co., et al were already there, and in the distance, we could hear the unmistakable sound of someone losing their virginity. I'm not going to speculate as to who.

The sky was overcast when we arrived, but the clouds quickly cleared, and behold and lo, the sky lit up like... well... There are no words to describe what I saw. Simply put, it was beautiful.

The Lights lasted a lot longer than my Hromwathi-grown Espresso, but I had my friends to keep me warm. When it was over, Sasha invited the lot of us to spend the rest of the morning at his house We were all freezing to death by the time we made it back there, but it was worth it. Especially once I crashed on the nearest bean-bag and lost consciousness for a few hours. Hmm... Good Times.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
(As a side note: Hey, why don't we create a thread over at the Library section for Character journals? Fun, yet easy writing practice exercises for those so inclined! Who knows, maybe Noben might even get in on it.... But she has a lot on her plate. )

The effects of 'Ermehgerd! Sner! 2014' are starting to slowly wane. The roads are clear for the most part. The yards are still snowy, and for the most part, I don't mind that. Watching  my three dogs go outside and go crazy playing in the snow is a good laugh that I can always use.

Ah, the simple joys. I do miss being a kid at such times.
Of course, it was only a few years ago during a decent snow accumulation that a few friends and I not only did a little sledding down my street (it was late and there was no traffic), but had a good snowball fight and built a nearly seven foot tall snow penis, complete with sack. Sadly, there were no pictures and we knocked it down before daylight just in case the cult.... christian school next door had classes. That was a hell of a lot of fun that night. Maybe I should build a Calvin and Hobbes-esk snowman in our front yard....
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
Was really tired last night... went to bed at about 9pm and decided to sleep until I woke up on my own. Turned out to be about 9am. So I'm feeling a lot better now!

Really want to get down to the central market this afternoon. Can't figure out why but I just cannot buy small green chillies here. I can get several other kinds but nobody stocks them and dangit, I want my green curry. My mum grows some but they're very mild and I want some fire!

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »
Spicy green curry sounds delicious Conf :) Hope you can find the peppers to make it happen.

I managed to waste a few dollars worth of plastic filament trying to get increasingly large 3D prints done of a part. the first one turned out okay, but was so thin because of the scaling that I couldn't remove the support material without destroying the part. The next 3 prints failed for various reasons, including bad calibration, the bottom layer failing to stick, and my own user error. The last one did finish though! And the support material came away relatively cleanly too. I started a full size print of half of the piece, with a slightly different model that didn't need support material, so it should go a bit faster than the last one. Fingers crossed that I don't come in to find a mess of spaghetti waiting for me on the print bed tomorrow.

The day after that of course is Monday, when I'll go in to campus to find out literally what the next year of my life is going to look like. Fun times.

-Jay
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
The closest I get to 3D printing is my 3Doodler...though hopefully eventually it's something I'll find time to explore.

Well... it took four asian grocers and a scouring of the general market area... but I found them. Green curry turned out well... will probably make it again tomorrow but with more basil and less fish sauce. Fine tuning ^.^

Had an afternoon crafting with friends. It was nice... all chatting and working on various projects. I'm cross-stitching McPedro for a birthday present, even with just the grin and moustache properly done he's recognisable!

Anyhow, 27 degrees (80.6 celsius) at bedtime... going to be a hot week. Time to get sleep while I can.

Night.. zzzzzz....

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
I would love to be able to print in 3d.
Ah well.

Journal!
I had an enjoyable, if far too short weekend.
Saturday after work, I got to play some D&D for a bit. Found out one of the players is planning on running a Rifts game. So after a couple of the other players had to leave early, we sat down and made a character for the Rifts game.

Sunday was a bit of a lazy day, played some Fallout New Vegas, got some laundry done. Watched The Gamers (again) with my wife. Sleep!

Today sees me back at work till 7. I'll likely play some more Fallout once I get home.
Tomorrow, work is having a free breakfast, so I will have to get up a bit early to get here in time to grab some grub! Then I guess I'll cool my heals down in the break room till it is time to go on the clock.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
First day of College. Accidentally wrote down the wrong class in my planner. Missed Geography as a result. Everything under controll. Algebra went well. Met my gender-bent doppleganger. Her name's Stacy.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
Topped 45C (113F) yesterday. Set to do it again today. Hotter Thursday.

Just trying to get by this week. Basically living in my bedroom as it has air conditioning.

Off to work now. Good job but just want to hide in cool room and flop.

Pardon lack of coherence. Sleep difficult in this.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
Update on College

So I finally met with one professor and emailed the other. The first one is having the TAs regrade the second half of the project, and I'll have a meeting tomorrow morning with the other professor about Exam 3 and all those points. Then I need to talk to the dean to get my GPA and suspension status reevaluated, and if I'm lucky they'll be able to reenroll me in all the classes I had signed up for back in November (cuz if they don't I'm screwed, there's no way I those classes haven't filled up by now). Optimistically that'll all happen by the end of the week. In the meantime I have to try and figure out how to do homework and stuff since classes started yesterday and I can't access the online materials or the book lists until I'm reenrolled ._.
This semester is starting off so damn well x3
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »
Crazy dreams last night. Then again, it has been a crazy week. Mostly just at work. I'm looking forward to the weekend though.

Some fun D&D action, and then going to a rope social (the first ever for me) on Sunday. Should be interesting to say the least! I just have to make it through the day!

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
An odd tidbit that didn't quite belong in my normal journal entries:

Because of growing sleeping problems and living with people that have no regard for the sleep-health of others, lately I've been putting on some white/brown static noise to drown out any noises that could possibly wake me up. Not as a background noise but as a loud roar, like a 747 taking off down the street minus the shattered windows. Yep, they're that loud.

Good news is, I've been sleeping almost completely uninterrupted for 7+ hours. I might even be catching up to my sleep-debt soon. Bad news is, having the white/brown noise blasting away has been doing weird things to my head. Either going to sleep or waking up, sometimes my head just....feels wrong.

Now, I usually have bad dreams. I don't think I've had a good dream since I was a teenager but I've long since gotten used to the nightmares and they never bother me. Rather, I find them interesting and good practice for conquering my fears (of zombies). But the other night I had a slasher dream. Again, not unusual, but this one was bad. Really bad. I tried to just roll with it like I usually do but it was so bad I ended up waking myself up. I got up and felt like I was going to puke. I was scared to go to sleep the following night. Bleh.
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »
With a wonderful storm and a lot of lightning the heatwave finally broke yesterday evening. It's still definitely summer but It's no longer hide-where-it's-cool-and-wait-it-out.

I've been really boring the last few days and am catching up on the household tasks it was too hot to do for the last few days so really... still being boring.

Tomorrow I'm off on a good long bike ride though :D

Altermeta Community

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »