Author Topic: Spring/Summer Community Art Project  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
Spring/Summer Community Art Project
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:13 AM »
Okay gang, I have a whopper of an idea, and this time it's WITH Noben's blessing! :)

We've tossed around and brainstormed what life is like on Carvis, and for this next art project I want us to come up with some of the flora and fauna that lives there! I brought this idea up with Noben and she's cool with it. While she does have some ideas about the plants and animals that roam the planet, she said it had been a while since she had thought about it.

This is where we can come in.

I'd like EVERYONE in the Altermeta community to participate in this project. If you're not an artist, that's fine. A good description of your idea can be worked from by someone else. Keep in mind what animals we've seen in the comic so far and what has been hinted at in the FAQ. Also keep in mind the era the comic exists in and evolution of the races that live on the planet. It's doubtful any super predators still exist, but apex predators certainly aren't out of the question. If you want to offer up an extinct subject from near or distant past that's cool. The fossil record of Carvis would fascinating to study!

Don't be afraid to offer up ideas that exist outside of the main continent either. As we know here on Earth, all sorts of weird stuff washes up on shore from the depths of the ocean. It's not out of the realm of possibility that that happens on Carvis too.

There is one thing I want to point out to everyone who submits something to this project: all entries become the potential property of Noben. Should she choose to use your design and concept in the comic, it becomes hers. I'm placing this condition on all art entries to prevent any future copyright/ownership issues. While I have no doubt that Noben will give credit to anything she should choose to use, I don't want this to turn into any kind of headache for her.

Simply put, if you post an entry, you donate it to her. I truly hope this doesn't deter anyone from participating. This is a chance for us to add to the comic beyond the design by committee characters and stories.

I want this project to run until the first day of Fall, though if we have steady participation it will basically become on-going.

Crank up those imaginations folks! :)

(Also: WOOT!! 1000th post!)
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Altermeta Community

Spring/Summer Community Art Project
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:13 AM »

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
Re: Spring/Summer Community Art Project
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »
Ooh, I think I could actually draw a few Cavrisian plants and animals. Let me just get my thinking cap on so I can generate some otherworldly biological defense mechanisms...
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:54:39 PM »
I'll see what I can come up with. Is there any kind of deadline?
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
I'll see what I can come up with. Is there any kind of deadline?

Quote from: Lisbon Virgo
I want this project to run until the first day of Fall, though if we have steady participation it will basically become on-going.

:)

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »
...Oh.

^////^;;
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:52:44 AM »
I do specialize in landscapes... Maybe there is a diverse mountain/valley area where many things can be found... (Inspired by the area of Nevada US near Lake Tahoe)
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
Still can't draw anything.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Freemantwin

• Kuvling
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
should be fun  =)
[Titan For Hire]

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
Dreaker (dammit), can you give us a good description of something you have in mind? If so, one of us artist types can draw it for you. People collaborating of stuff is one reason I wanted to do this project.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
I'm willing to collaborate with Dreaker. Or anyone else here for that matter.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »
:P too late for us Southern Hemispherians then.

I will see what I can photograph if anyone wants that.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
Why do I have the sudden urge to smack a moderator? ;) September 21st for those on the south side of the planet. :P Like I said though, if we get enough interest I'll just make it ongoing.

Offline Russ

• Dragon
  • Rawr!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:39 AM »
Dreaker (dammit), can you give us a good description of something you have in mind? If so, one of us artist types can draw it for you. People collaborating of stuff is one reason I wanted to do this project.

Especially flora design, all you need to do is spend a day running around the net gathering for free stock of plant pics. The next day, pull them into ps, corel, gimp whatever and start clipping pruning and glue-ing. No drawing reqd'.

Get your fantasy image of Boo and have her tell you its for stagecraft class. Then she produces a pair of icy Pepsi 16 oz bottles for her hungry crew and self. Class ends with 'spin the bottle'....

I'll contribute as I get time

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »
Especially flora design, all you need to do is spend a day running around the net gathering for free stock of plant pics. The next day, pull them into ps, corel, gimp whatever and start clipping pruning and glue-ing. No drawing reqd'.

Get your fantasy image of Boo and have her tell you its for stagecraft class. Then she produces a pair of icy Pepsi 16 oz bottles for her hungry crew and self. Class ends with 'spin the bottle'....

I'll contribute as I get time
*Sugar High Cola

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 05:08:31 AM »
Roger dodger maybe some undersea life? I don't draw as a rule, but I'll make a collage as you say if it be you will.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 05:08:31 AM »