Author Topic: Finally caught up!  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Porsupah

• Hatchling
  • Programmer bunny & wildlife photographer
    • My wildlife photography
Finally caught up!
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »
I'd been neglecting my RSS reader for much too long, and with it, I'd let several superb comics lapse into huge backlogs, Altermeta amongst them. Now I've finally caught up with it all, I thought I'd poke my nose in hereabouts and see what discussions go on. ^_^

I've been following Altermeta since fairly early on, and the character designs always held quite an appeal, not to mention that lovely artwork style. (Maybe a collected volume at some point? ComiXology offer a broad range of digital comics online and on iOS and Android devices. I'd certainly be up for buying such a collection)

As for me: just another programmer bunny. ^_^  Mostly in projects with some kind of audio/video element, lately in video compression. Outside of that, one of my main loves is wildlife photography, which I started.. well, maybe Summer 2008, when I picked up my first "actual camera", a Panasonic Lumix TZ-5. Worked nicely, but with no manual control, and the usual tiny sensor of compact cameras, it was very difficult to freeze action, let alone acquire focus and track a fast-moving rabbit. After borrowing a coworker's new Sony DSLR one lunchtime, and seeing just what a difference that offered, I knew I had to go that route. A few months later, I landed a used Nikon D90 and a Tamron 28-300mm VC, replaced a few months later by a Nikkor 300mm f/4D, which remains my primary wildlife lens. (If you're interested, I'm most active on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/porsupah/. My favorite from last year has to be Momentary, which caught some attention: http://www.flickr.com/photos/porsupah/9495186995/)

I may be able to help with the odd bit of Apple-related advice, if anyone has queries - I've used PowerBooks and MacBook Pros for a while, and now iThings as well.

Anyway, that's enough wittering to begin with. ^_^;

Altermeta Community

Finally caught up!
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
Re: Finally caught up!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum~! Have a complimentary Kuvrahk Plushie! You can choose from CC, Jo, *whispers in Porsupah's ear* Boo, *out loud* Pirate T-square, and Rum Wench Sasha!
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:56:16 AM »
Welcome to the Forum! I'm Meep.

(When Dreaker shows up, he'll shed further light on the whole plushie thing)
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:28 AM »
Hi! Welcome to the forum! I'm Lisbon. I run the unofficial Altermeta Twitter account @AltermetaDOTNet. As a second welcome gift, I present you a Bag of Holding filled with a dozen Portable Holes. You may find them quite useful in a few of the threads, especially the Rubber Room.

A quick bit of advice: hide what ever plushie you choose. They tend to disappear around certain characters. :)
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
*hands over a welcome balloon*

Welcome to the madness...I quite enjoy messing about with cameras myself... Oddly enough my dslr is not my best camera...for everything but macro and long exposure my dsc-hx100v kicks its arse quite soundly. Then again, cheap second hand dslr. Maybe I will upgrade some day.

If you feel like it you can show us your work in the louvre section :D

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
*Passes overhead in an artificial ornithopter to airdrop in a small package that bursts into confetti upon contacting the ground, leaving behind a card that reads
"Welcome to the forums!
We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
^.=.^
Careful not to trip over the confetti."
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »
*emerges from the shadows*
Welcome to this corner of the internet!

Be warned: Any food left unattended will be devoured by shadowy forum lurkers.
*returns to the shadows stealing Boo plushies*
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
Porsupah, your photography and photoshop skills could be used in the new community project. We know that Carvis has life forms similar to Earth (Ruth dumped coffee on a dog), but who's to say they necessarily look the same? Plants could be a really interesting focus for you. 
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline Zenanor

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Real life is sorted out soon!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
Welcome to forum!

*Offers welcome pastry of Porsupah's choice*

Enjoy your stay :)
Funny how most forum signatures aren't actually signatures, but instead are some witty comment.
Except Balding, that cheeky bugger.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
Porsupah, your photography and photoshop skills could be used in the new community project. We know that Carvis has life forms similar to Earth (Ruth dumped coffee on a dog), but who's to say they necessarily look the same? Plants could be a really interesting focus for you.
I just went through the Old Comic in search of the poor puppy, and as far as I can tell, it's exactly like any mixed-breed earthling domestic canine.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 06:02:09 AM »
*Walks in through the door and looks around wearily at the crazy*

Hello Porsupah, it's nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum and try not to lose your mind too quickly. We go so long between inducting sane people.