Author Topic: Should I get this laptop?  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
Should I get this laptop?
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
It looks like this Asus has managed to capture my heart. Think I'll get good mileage over two years of its life? I was thinking that I might want to spend big this time around.

I've checked out other brands, and built-to-order laptop vendors, and I think this might work out to be the best deal. Also, a nice, new, big, and beefy backpack couldn't hurt, and same for a gaming headset. I needed them anyway.

Altermeta Community

Should I get this laptop?
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
Re: Should I get this laptop?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
A laptop with a subwoofer? That's something I have to see.

I owned an Asus laptop once, and while it was great for gaming, it turned out to be a piece of junk. Two years after I got it, the fans gave out followed by the charging port, followed by the charging cable, followed by the battery, followed by part of the mother board.

I spent enough money having that thing repaired to buy the computer I'm using now. It was probably a fluke, but I'd still be cautious.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:50:54 PM by RichTheWolf257 »
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
<post removed due to accidental posting>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:50:17 PM by RichTheWolf257 »
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline Astrobia

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Totally not leading you into a trap...
    • http://Pending
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
That sound more like a symptom of being a laptop rather than the brand.
Also I would never recommend a laptop for gaming unless you primarily play strategy games from half a decade ago... Like Civ or something. Even $3k+ so called gaming laptops need special cooling pads, additional peripherals and to run the games on lower settings to compete with desktops a 3rd the price at running modern games (If the game will run on a laptop at all, some new releases flat out do not support laptops and wont run whether it has the power to handle it or not)... At least the razer blade pro has some nice secondary features I guess.
If you want it for portable general use then go nuts sony and asus are the two most reliable brands at the moment... The only other consideration I might make is a dell if you are the kind of person who know it's going to break anyway and you want a less painful customer support experience as they have the best support (which isn't saying much, you will still have a sucky experience).
In fact you'll probably want to buy a cooling pad regardless of if you plan to game on it or not.
~"Icecream is love."~

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
Also I would never recommend a laptop for gaming unless you primarily play strategy games from half a decade ago... Like Civ or something. Even $3k+ so called gaming laptops need special cooling pads, additional peripherals and to run the games on lower settings to compete with desktops a 3rd the price at running modern games (If the game will run on a laptop at all, some new releases flat out do not support laptops and wont run whether it has the power to handle it or not)... At least the razer blade pro has some nice secondary features I guess.
If you want it for portable general use then go nuts sony and asus are the two most reliable brands at the moment... The only other consideration I might make is a dell if you are the kind of person who know it's going to break anyway and you want a less painful customer support experience as they have the best support (which isn't saying much, you will still have a sucky experience).
In fact you'll probably want to buy a cooling pad regardless of if you plan to game on it or not.

Where have you been? :P

Either way, I don't have any real PCs right now, and I can't have a desktop, so a gaming laptop does sound like a nice compromise for me, especially when it's still light enough to be portable and powerful enough to still make games sing at 1080p for the most part. Really, almost all games should handle themselves fairly well on modern laptop hardware and a good GPU as long as it's not Company of Heroes 2. And even then, there's 720p.

Sony's exiting the PC market.

Dells are rather overpriced from what I've seen.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
I play MMORPGs on high graphics settings regularly with my Lenovo Yoga Win8 2-in-1 with no problems whatsoever. The same could be said of my old ASUS. As such, I find this about the most insulting post on this forum. Y U H8 ON LAPTOPZ?!  =(

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »

I've been using the same laptop for three years and it still runs all the games I play on medium settings perfectly fine with no cooling pad or anything. Newer laptops (in the 14"+ performance range) will absolutely play any game I'd want to play on high settings at 1080p without a fuss.
The reason I've not had much trouble is probably that I don't play the super intense GPU-shanking weapons fusterclucks that are modern first person shooters. Any game that pushes graphics quality as a selling point inevitably ends up losing out on gameplay and characterization and instantly loses me. As such, I've stuck with games that have either simplified retro styling like FTL, or that focus more on gameplay like Starcraft or League, all of which my current laptop has no trouble with.

If "most laptops" are less than $600 at Best Buy and are trying to run Titanfall, then you're absolutely right. That just hasn't been my experience.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 06:21:35 AM »
I has the macbook air and it's my primary computer, I don't game but then it's not really meant for that. I do not consider myself an "apple fanboy" but after how awesome this thing has been I'm considering purchasing a desktop mac. It just feels well made to me, all the details come together. That being said my first laptop was a gateway that I got new when xp first came out, it was a great runner too and it still works. I feel like I went from driving a perfectly serviceable ford taurus to like an entry level Mercedes. My mac is not a Porsche, but neither is it a taurus. Bottom line you should buy what you want the most, that's the only way you'll get something you'll be happy with.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
Fair warning, the desktop macs just aren't the same as the laptops. A lot of it has to do with the trackpad, but they can get even more expensive than the laptops too, to the point where you're better off buying and assembling your own PC for half the cost. If the well-made feeling is what you want though, the iMac is a dang solid package (my family has one of the older ones from before they made them thin, and it is excellent).
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 04:53:06 AM »
Maybe I'll go after a gently "loved" one instead of buying new. Sorry to semi-hijack the thread. I am finished

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
It looks like this Asus has managed to capture my heart. Think I'll get good mileage over two years of its life? I was thinking that I might want to spend big this time around.

I've checked out other brands, and built-to-order laptop vendors, and I think this might work out to be the best deal. Also, a nice, new, big, and beefy backpack couldn't hurt, and same for a gaming headset. I needed them anyway.

I think you've chosen an excellent model for the price range with a nearly unparalleled feature set. Asus usually has excellent quality and decent support. (I prefer their motherboards myself) The only minor thing is the resolution, but it suits the 760M perfectly. As far as two year milage goes, I think that laptop's a good choice. The GTX760M has enough power to max some games at the resolution too.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
Maybe I'll go after a gently "loved" one instead of buying new. Sorry to semi-hijack the thread. I am finished
Will a gently hated one suffice? XD

JK

Offline Astrobia

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Totally not leading you into a trap...
    • http://Pending
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
Really, almost all games should handle themselves fairly well on modern laptop hardware and a good GPU as long as it's not Company of Heroes 2. And even then, there's 720p.

Sony's exiting the PC market.

Dells are rather overpriced from what I've seen.

That's the point. You aren't going to pushing high settings on modern releases. You're compromising and to a significant degree.
Yes Sony are. Until they do...
Dell's are overpriced. Heck all prebuilt machines are overpriced... :-P
But with dell you are paying extra for the support. It's like getting insurance. Entirely up to you if it's worth it or not (for me it's not but when giving advice you need to let people know all the options because what suits you might not be the best fit for them).

I play MMORPGs on high graphics settings regularly with my Lenovo Yoga Win8 2-in-1 with no problems whatsoever. The same could be said of my old ASUS. As such, I find this about the most insulting post on this forum. Y U H8 ON LAPTOPZ?!  =(

Ignoring the fact MMO's are typically a half to about a third the fidelity of a new release AAA single player title... If you think you are going to be playing the 2015 generation of MMO's on a laptop on high you a deluding yourself... Maybe shadowrun online. "Maybe" (because it's turn based). Star Citizen is right out as utterly unplayable... Unless you just want to run Squadron 42 on low with 1 or 2 friends. :-P

I've been using the same laptop for three years and it still runs all the games I play on medium settings perfectly fine with no cooling pad or anything. Newer laptops (in the 14"+ performance range) will absolutely play any game I'd want to play on high settings at 1080p without a fuss.
The reason I've not had much trouble is probably that I don't play the super intense GPU-shanking weapons fusterclucks that are modern first person shooters. Any game that pushes graphics quality as a selling point inevitably ends up losing out on gameplay and characterization and instantly loses me. As such, I've stuck with games that have either simplified retro styling like FTL, or that focus more on gameplay like Starcraft or League, all of which my current laptop has no trouble with.

If "most laptops" are less than $600 at Best Buy and are trying to run Titanfall, then you're absolutely right. That just hasn't been my experience.

I already said "unless" you are content to play low end games. Though yes I was way more specific about genre that qualifies as low end as an example than I needed to be. Even so I'm not sure what your point is. I say laptops simply can't push the envelope and you say they are fine if you don't want to push the envelope? Yes. Yes they are. They are also fine if you aren't concerned about future proofing.
It's also fair to say they will play most PC games on medium just fine... Of course over 90% of the PC games library wasn't made this decade. The implication the high end ones can run any game smoothly simply isn't true though. I have a mate who just bought a top of the line Alienware 18 laptop 3 months ago. He's getting stutter on new releases NOW. This includes the Star Citizen hanger module on medium settings. He's worried about running Watchdogs smoothly when it comes out next month on medium settings... Assuming he can run it at all. It's another one of those titles that probably simply will not support laptops at launch so he'll probably have to wait 2-4 months after launch for the patch to run it on any settings.
Calling them gaming laptops doesn't make them what the name implies. Can you game on them? Yes. Heck you can game in a browser on your phone if that's all you want out of gaming. Fact is though with laptops you are compromising power for portability and it doesn't matter how much you spend you are still making that compromise. It's a good compromise for some, not so for others and it is worth making sure they are aware of the pros and cons before they decide what suits them.

Indecently, on the FTL thing... I can confidently say that most laptops will overheat while playing it without a cooling pad. I say this because when if first came out and we were all playing it that's exactly what happened to the majority of my friends playing it on laptops until they got cooling pads. Myself as well... And I can't recommend cooling pads enough for gaming... Especially on intel systems. They sometimes (quite regularly) make the difference between being forced to play a game on low, medium or high.
~"Icecream is love."~

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
*sees wall of text talking about laptop opinions*
Weren't we trying to help Twiggy decide on that laptop? :P
Recap: two-year machine, medium gameplay, around one K in cost
Twiggy's choice: Asus machine with good features and CPU, gtx760m driving a 1366x768 display

Meep's opinion: if you like it, go for it. The CPU has enough power, and the GPU is quite well suited for the resolution. Two year? Yes. :)
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
Uh... I got the laptop.

Also, it actually came equipped with a 1920x1080 IPS display. These colours... and perfect viewing angles... and pleasing factory calibration...

(Also now I get all the way from suffering badly with Battlefield 3 at 480p minimum settings to comfortably doing 1080p medium + ultra textures (the game set it that way; I'll try and see whether I can try high.)) I actually went slightly over budget to make sure I get something I really want instead of trying to compromise.

I can't install newer NVIDIA drivers yet, and hence, GeForce Experience, because the laptop is so new that it hasn't made it into the Verde driver program yet. (As long as you aren't using a Fujitsu laptop, most NVIDIA driver packages should work as soon as your laptop's GPU ID makes it.)

From what I've tested on my games library, no game goes below 720p high while maintaining the feel of 45 fps+, giving it a smooth look; there's also some of them that can do 1080p medium or high. I've seen some games that can be maxed or almost maxed out at 1080p. Also, these stats are with 4x MSAA for games that allow it. ;) The laptop's internal upscaler seem to do a very good job at scaling up 720p output to the display's native resolution.

Laptop that thinks it's a desktop, indeed. (The keyboard's also very nice.)

Bonus: fans doesn't seem to hit full speed, palm rests don't get hot even while playing Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »