Author Topic: Goodbye old friend  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
Goodbye old friend
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:30:05 AM »
I'm putting this here instead of Tech Talk because this is just a mild rant.

I have today decided to retire my old desktop PC.  With the ending of support for Windows XP its just going to be a liability in the future.  I've pulled out the hard drives, video card, and DVD drive and put them in the desktop I built out of scavenged parts, so I'm not losing anything, technically.  Still, it feels as if I'm losing and old friend.  It kind of reminds me when I sold my PS2 after I bought a PS3 so long ago.  My Gateway served me well for nearly nine years editing videos, killing grunts and jackals, and just generally working most of the time.  As a techno-holic this is even harder, but everything must come to an end. 

Farewell, old friend.  May your digital soul move to a higher plane where obsolescence cannot reach.  =(

Altermeta Community

Goodbye old friend
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:30:05 AM »

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
Re: Goodbye old friend
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Twiggy

• Kuvvie
  • The Fuzzy Bat-Dragon
    • TwigZone
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »
13 years is a very long time, tech-wise. It's kind of funny how there's still a sizable amount of Windows XP users by end-of-life. Last time "end-of-life" + "lots of users" happened, as with Windows 98, it got extended. However, Windows 98 had only 6 years back then. Windows XP had close to double that...

Still, even after EOL, some people really don't know. Eventually, though, people will move on.

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:35 AM »
Perhaps one day my grandchildren will marvel that an operating system ever lasted more than two years let alone over a decade.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
I dunno that by that time we'll even still be using 'Operating Systems' as we know them today.
I don't even know what computers will look like 10 years from now let alone 50
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »
I dedicate the song "Oh, My Personal Computer Is Dead!" By Kiba of Akiba to this thread. :)
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:08:51 PM »
It feels like the end of an era when it's time for a new computer.

I built my PC in 2008 - the case, motherboard, CPU, PSU and optical drives are the original ones I bought... everything else has been added/upgraded/supplemented. The two original HDD's are in there... this thing does dual boot XP and 7 nowadays. So Morpheus and MorpheusII share a bedroom I guess.

Thinking I might have to look at a total rebuild (keeping the newer HDD and SSD) next year... but it'll be a sad day when I see this one go.

Might also have to upgrade the monitor. It's served well but it can't handle the resolutions I'd like.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Balding

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Confused Alien is confused.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:36 AM »
2008? you could scratch another 3 years out of that thing if you supplement with a cheap laptop or a tablet.  I can't do laptops anymore though, I've killed three in less than six years, not counting a hard drive failure on one.  Although, using my desktop now makes me think I need to upgrade my TV.  Text is hard to see on a 37".  Vizio has a 55" 3D for $1000.