Author Topic: New dragon on deck  (Read 11733 times)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
Re: New dragon on deck
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »
Consciousness is a mechanism of the brain and, scientifically speaking, there is no mystical 'soul' that holds ones identity. If you were to replicate a body it would be the same as replicating a chair. They might both look the extremely similar (if you look closely enough there will always be differences) but they are two separate objects.

As far as the first-person experience would go, if both the person (A) and the close (B) woke up in identical beds in identical rooms, they would both have memories of going into whatever procedure it was that manufactures the clone and wake up believing they were A. B wouldn't know the difference until the differences were revealed to them. Also, A would not experience conscious over two bodies. A would have no added experience, beyond whatever occurred during the procedure. To A, B would just be a different person that seems extremely similar to them. B would feel the same way. Credible evidence would have to be procured to prove who is A and who is B. From then on, their identities become the result of whatever experiences they accumulate and they would diverge into difference.

However, it gets tricky.

Just say you saved an instance of all possible information contained within your body and saved it into some computer, ready to clone again at some point in the future. Every clone thence created would wake up believing that they had just finished the procedure to save the information of their body, and they would all believe "I'm me" until credible evidence were provided to prove that they are in fact a clone.

Consciousness is a continuity backed up by continually degrading memories.

A neat podcast on this: http://philosophybites.com/2008/11/christopher-shi.html (or right click and save as -> http://cdn1.libsyn.com/philosophybites/Christopher_Shields_on_Personal_Identity.mp3?nvb=20081103070152&nva=20081104070152&t=0835855fc55c33a31923f )
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Altermeta Community

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »

Offline Agryfvar

• Hatchling
  • Nunc cognosco ex parte
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
1)Oooh, yay. Science! I grew up with an avid fear of biology as an academic topic, but over time I've come to learn to love all avenues of science as different parts of a greater whole. And thusly, the appropriate xkcd reference: http://xkcd.com/435/ (please note: I don't actually endorse the silly cliche hierarchies of professions) I fell in love with plant biology because of my love of hiking and natural environments in general. It just feels like magic, all the similarities and differences in the life that is so different than ours.

What about you? Why the path you've taken?

I just seemed to gravitate towards Biology in school and in university I took courses on a whole host of biological and other topics. 

2)You can find the kuvrhak personna thread here: http://forum.altermeta.net/index.php/topic,119.0.html
And the personna Ruler of the World thread here: http://forum.altermeta.net/index.php/topic,2371.0.html

There's a thing with a RotW RPG beta but I don't know anything about it. But yus, your weapon should be a measuring device. Something appropriable in a high-school environment. And of course we would all like to be original, but I don't believe there is any trouble in picking the same device as someone else and having it's power-up be different than what has already been claimed by someone else. After all, it's each characters' expression of magic that powers the transformation.

And yup! This and all others is the right place to ask. I don't have much seniority here, but I have learned that the forum is very accommodating when it comes to what and where in the different forum sections.

And as to quantum entanglement...our idea of 'teleportation' will have to evolve into various philosophical interpretations of 'presence' to be able to give the question a yes, but as our new member has said, the essence of what it is is communication. But that being said, the communication can be interpreted and used in all kinds of different ways. But what is technologically possible is also restricted by what is economically viable. We COULD make giant death robots the size of cities, but is it worth it? The idea of quantum entangled cloning has been explored in fiction often enough, but as our newest member knows better than me, everything about the human body is a lot more complicated than we yet understand. Not just the amongst the general populous but in the fields of science as well.

Perhaps the more appropriate question would be: "What's your opinion on the viability of cloning people to the degree that at one point they will be identical in every way but for their difference in location?"

Cloning could be possible IF the process of linking each quark in the original to an entangled Quark, then though some 'magical' process affecting the entangled Quark pair linking to another quark on the terminal end and then reforming those into atoms and from there into an exact copy of the original didn't result in the destruction of original thus leaving the 'clone' as the only 'copy' of said original in existence.

The next question I do not think has an answer with the information we have is if this 'clone' will will have a soul or even be alive. We could have a incredibly accurate biological model of the original as they were at the moment of transmission right down to the placement of blood cells inside their veins and electrical links between neurones inside the brain. Will there be that spark of life or not. WE can only speculate.

He smiles and bows...

"I am glad to meet a fellow scholar of the bleeding edge...

While I admit the request for your thought on this matter was mainly to gain a measure of your familiarity,
my own musings on it revolve more around the philosophical implications of the evidence that there are indeed
"physical" relations between subjects beyond their dimensional relativity to one another.

While I agree in the definition between "communications" and "teleport",
we still do not fully understand how these correlations occur and, as such,
cannot rule out the possibility that a remote  transference of quantifiable, not virtual,
energy is indeed being made manifest.

My current stance rests with the tenants of M-Theory,
but may be heavily influenced by bias."

The dragons pulls out a pair of  teacups and offers one to Agryfvar...

"While my persona around here tends to be Sigwion and Nithophis,
please do not confused that with a lack of parallax between reality and fantasy.

In either case, I am very glad to also welcome you to the fold!"

^..^

bows in return accepting the teacup, eyeing it curiously. "Time will tell which path is correct but how much time will pass is the big question and thank you for the warm welcome. Another redscale will be added to the fold soon. I will have to re-learn how to draw snouts and ears such at those found here. My tentative steps thus far have not yielded any results worth seeing the light of day." 

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
  • Sasha is Love, Life, and quite likely Perfection.
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 03:14:22 PM »
Never truly judge anything until it is finished.

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
~Pops in from the RLD using one of the many portable holes, with some unmentionables tied around her neck and a lolly in her mouth~

OI, OI, WHAS' ALL THIS'EN? WELCOME T'YA MATE N' DON'T TOUCH MUH JACKS.

~Throws a 'toy' at Lisbon and Jchan each before giggling madly and ducking back into the hole, a vague voice can still be heard as she disappears.~

WE'RE ALL QUITE MAAD 'EERREE

Offline Agryfvar

• Hatchling
  • Nunc cognosco ex parte
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »
*blinks not even sure what happened, just happened.* "I'll take that as fair warning"

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
*blinks not even sure what happened, just happened.* "I'll take that as fair warning"

POSTHASTE!!

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
*Points Jinx to a offensive buff in the Jungle*

"Hey! Look! Free level up!"

^..^;
*Gives a deep bow, spreading his wings regally*

"I am known as Sigwion;
Inventor, philosopher and adventurer..."

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »
*Points Jinx to a offensive buff in the Jungle*

"Hey! Look! Free level up!"

^..^;

Already level 18 and at full build! HA.

~Shoots the red buff anyway because kek~

Offline Agryfvar

• Hatchling
  • Nunc cognosco ex parte
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »
*blinks*  Level 18?  interesting...

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Colloquial

One of my favorite words. :D

I take it you're not familiar with the game League of Legends(LoL). From Voidbane's last reply and on, that's been the topic of mention. As for Jessi's previous banter...well, RLD is not an abbrieviation related to LoL but (speaking coyly) I should say that one must be lvl18 or above to gain access to the RLD forum (speak with our forum admin, the esteemed mister Caltsar). I can't guess at your overall temperament just yet so perhaps you might like to get settled into the normal forums before venturing there.

Haha and we aren't all quite so crazy. Or at the very least, I should like to think that our insanity is pleasantly varied. :P
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Kasi

• Hatchling
  • Kassi
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
*a light grey scaled feminine featured kurvey with a few boyish features walks in, tail swinging side to side happily as I offer a hot dish of lasagna looking up at the newcomer with big soft emerald green eyes* I haven't seen any food offered to a newcomer yet so here, I hope you like it. *whispers* Be careful, some shadowy lurkers might try to steal it.

Sorry for the super late greeting but hello there and welcome ^_^ I'm Kasi, also a newcomer to the forums. Glad to see another newbie here hehe. How long have you been reading the comic now?

Ooooh I don't even know where to begin on the topic of science that has been brought up. I love quantum theory and discussing it. Biology as well though chemistry and genetics are my favorite. Sadly my mind isn't all mine right now with meds and sickness and all so I'm having trouble even thinking of replies.
Judge one by their actions - Not by their looks.

Offline Valrejn

• Adult Member
  • Hatchling
  • Raar
    • Renegade Workshop
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
Hi!  Are you food?

Oh!  Greetings fellow dragon.
--Val
"Hi!  Are you food?"

Offline Agryfvar

• Hatchling
  • Nunc cognosco ex parte
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 06:41:27 AM »
We may have to take the science talk to another part of this forum. It would be fun to speak further Kasi, when you feel better. And I do hope you do feel better soon.

No I am not food, yes I am a fellow dragon. Well met.