Author Topic: Invasive App Store redirects  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
Invasive App Store redirects
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this browsing on a mobile device, but I've been getting redirected every so often away from the forums to the store page of Uber, a community taxi app.
A brief google search got me some more information here:
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2014/02/ad2store-redirections-the-latest-annoyance-for-mobile-users/
This is by far the most invasive form of advertising I've seen yet (more so even than decoy download buttons)

Caltsar, have you seen this before and is there anything that can be done about it?
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Altermeta Community

Invasive App Store redirects
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
Re: Invasive App Store redirects
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
I have not seen this. Is it happening on Altermeta? If so, can you identify any ads on the page when it happens?

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
It hasn't been bothering me at all lately... Maybe I have yet to run into it.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »
Got it to happen again. This time it was some farmville thing, redirected within a second or two of the intended page being loaded.
The only ad in the page was the one that shows up right between the first and second posts, and it was strangely blank. Just a white rectangle that didn't even link anywhere when I tapped it.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:13:27 AM »
Alright! I will look into the issue. In the meantime, check any browser extensions you may have loaded (sometimes they like to sneak in) and let me know if you're on a mobile device or not.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
Got it to happen again. This time it was some farmville thing, redirected within a second or two of the intended page being loaded.
The only ad in the page was the one that shows up right between the first and second posts, and it was strangely blank. Just a white rectangle that didn't even link anywhere when I tapped it.

If you have a lenovo laptop, it could be some malware that they include from the factory...
But it's probably not that but just an advertiser that includes a redirect script...
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
I saw that somewhere else already, but my laptop is a mac and the error only shows up on my phone

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 01:09:42 AM »
Ahh, if it shows up on your phone it's likely one of the advertisers including a redirect script... which is very much against the Google Adwords ToS. I will try to identify the offending advertiser and report them (you can do the same thing as well if you identify who's advertising)