Author Topic: Greetings from the brood.  (Read 18625 times)

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
Greetings from the brood.
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »
  Hello, all--again.  In truth, this is a second me; my other username's personality here is different enough now that I can't wholly call it myself anymore.  As part of me, though, I have to account for it.  I'll call us a brood; no club's more exclusive than family.
  I'm seeing some familiar names on the screen, although it looks like most of my old friends have gone dark.  Nice to see you again, everyone who's been around for, oh, at least four or five years.  I'm not seeing our evil rabbit around.  Are you there?
  I'm not going to mention my old name out here, but, Noben or Caltzar, if you need to know, perhaps to remove the account for some reason, I can PM you with it.  I'd be sad to see it go, though.
  Anyways, it's good to be back.  I bring tidings of brownies and party hats!  The brownies are in the party hats!  The party hats are waffle cones!  It's brownies in waffle cones!  Take them and run.  Run, I say!  *Drops a box and flees.*
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Altermeta Community

Greetings from the brood.
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
Re: Greetings from the brood.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »
Um, welcome back?

When you stop running, please accept this bag of holding filled with a dozen assorted portable holes. They're Acme Brand, so you know they're quality items!

These brownies, are they regular brownies or "special" brownies? Just curious.

Don't leave any food lying about as it will be eaten by those who dwell in the shadows, and hide any Boo plushies you may receive.
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
*Anti-flees.* Twelve portable holes?  Danke schön, Lisbon.  They will be put to good use. :P  *Flees.*

As for the brownies, I've always made them special.  Each has a mystery center.  What's inside?  Jelly?  Caramel?  Gravel?  Only taste will tell!  The safe ones are on the right, though.  They've only got rum.  So long as those in shadow take only what is offered, they should be safe from any ill effects of the box of mystery.

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT MORE PLUSHIES
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:12:35 PM by GreenEyedMonster »
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:43:19 AM »
*emerges from the shadows*
Welcome to this corner of the internet! We have tried many way to protect Boo plushies but... None worked...

Please refrain using the portable holes to create multiple doplergangers outside the Rubber Rooms.

Be warned: Any food left unattended will be devoured by shadowy forum lurkers.
*returns to the shadows*
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
*frantically chases after the elusive GreenEyedMonster with a cardboard box of assorted kuvrahk plushies and a sign reading "TAKE ONE, PLEASE!"*
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
Hi! I'm rather new, ~2 years, so we'll not yet have met. I'm not much for fanfare so I hope you'll forgive me for forgoing warmer greetings. Actually, I normally wouldn't say hi at all (I'm a bit of a frightened little squirrel hiding behind trees), but the what you wrote in your intro was rather interesting. I'm sick so I don't always have the mental capacity to organize and say what I'd like, but in lieu of saying nothing I'll ask something a bit less thought out instead.

You regard your passed self as separate from your current self. Have you spent much time thinking about identity? It seems to me that constructs of identity make for the possibility of identifying several selves within one human person, which vary in both shape and dominance as a function of time, biological states, and environmental stimuli. You'll probably think that what I just said is a little over-the-top, I realize, but I decided to do so just in case you do understand. But whether you are on the same page or not, I'm curious. What do you think about identity? How do you regard your own?

I know I'm weird, sorry. X|
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:20:32 AM »
Welcome!
My gift is a single-use round-trip teleport bracelet. I didn't know which color you wanted, so it changes color every few minutes. :D
*spontaneously teleports into the plushie cart for a free ride*
Whee!
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:19:11 AM »
It's nice to see a roamer return. It's sad when to watch people slowly become ghosts and then completely disappear. I was thinking we could use some fresh blood, but vintage blood is good too!

Welcome back, I hope you'll stick around

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
It's nice to see a roamer return. It's sad when to watch people slowly become ghosts and then completely disappear. I was thinking we could use some fresh blood, but vintage blood is good too!
Back from whence ye came, foul beast! *waves a bundle of garlic in Liram's face*
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »
I'm not quite sure what the protocol is here.

*offers a welcome balloon and a welcome back balloon*

Take whichever seems appropriate.

And enjoy yourself here.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:03 AM »
Interesting name choice...

Is this just a coincidence?

NSFW

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/15909877/
*Gives a deep bow, spreading his wings regally*

"I am known as Sigwion;
Inventor, philosopher and adventurer..."

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:35:55 AM »
Back from whence ye came, foul beast! *waves a bundle of garlic in Liram's face*

Hcccccccccchhhhhh!!! It burrrrrns!

*hisses and returns to the shadows*

You know I can't stay in here for long, Dreaker'll kick me out.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
Hcccccccccchhhhhh!!! It burrrrrns!

*hisses and returns to the shadows*

You know I can't stay in here for long, Dreaker'll kick me out.
No blood for you!

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
Welcome back!
Please take this complementary carrier pigeon as a symbol of your inevitable return to the Altermeta community

... ooh waffle cones!
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:10 AM »
*Runs faster upon seeing Risha.*  You'll neve-waitholycrapisthatRUTH?  *tackle-hugs Risha.*  You brought my favorite!  Much obliged to you, [sir].  Also, Meepsire, your contributions to SCIENCE have been well-known for some time.  With this one I shall continue the great work of PROGRESS!  *takes the grumplush and bracelet and carries on sprinting.*

Dreak, you know that nobody forsakes the forum.  We may gray over and meld with the shadows, lurk moar and post less, but we never leave.

Never.

Liram, you'll be pleased to know I've donated blood several times.  Hurry and you can buy some of the last batch before the other mystics of the world use it in their rituals.  It's high in vitamins, though regrettably low in midichlo-*gack!*

Magic.  Low in magic at present.

*Salutes the garlic-wielding kuvvie in proper military fashion.*  Thanks, Risha.  *Sprints moar.*

Beau, what I've seen of myself is that I am never the same way twice.  Each day, hour and minute that I watch myself I see change.  I gain new memories constantly, shifting my outlook on the world by degrees until, years or even only months later, I find myself wondering why I'd ever have considered doing what I've done.  I recognize similarities between my "self of now" and my "self of then," but as I progress with learning and growing I find myself more and more dissociated from that previous creature that once called itself Antonio.  Eventually, I have to draw a break between us, dividing the two by a major break in the states of my thoughts.  I am not two people, but the two parts of me that I have compared here fall short of being different states of mind and reach dissonance in some important places--for the better, I would add.  I understand the stream of change that you were hinting at, and I agree with it.  After a point, however, I have to say, "Enough.  That isn't me."

Also, your question was an excellent one, and it let me order my thoughts about the two selves I compared.  Thanks for asking it.  Please, sir, may I have another?

Confusedcious, balloons are never wrong for a party, whatever they say.  *Sprints up, catches both balloons by the strings and spirits them away on a magical journey.*

Void, I can't see the picture.  However, I can confidently say I wasn't influenced in name choice by the picture.  I picked the name for its metaphorical and implied visual qualities.

*Fails to call the pigeon over.*  Ah, bollocks.  *Loops back and stops by Jay.*  Much obliged, good sir.  Those cones, incidentally, would very much like to see inside your stomach.  *Sits the bird on his head and slowly works back up to a solid pace.*  Ta ta, my friends~!

[TL;DR: nice to see everyone again, for the first time or, in a way, both.  I love the receptions here.  ;)]

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:10 AM »