Author Topic: Greetings from the brood.  (Read 18627 times)

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
Re: Greetings from the brood.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
It was a story, not a picture.

Regardless; what IS a "Green Eyed Monster"?
*Gives a deep bow, spreading his wings regally*

"I am known as Sigwion;
Inventor, philosopher and adventurer..."

Altermeta Community

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 05:43:56 AM »
'The Green-Eyed Monster' is a more poetic term for envy.  I'd guess it's derived from being 'green with envy,' but I've got no sources or memories to confirm that.
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 06:08:42 AM »
I'm thinking there are Shakespearian origins

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »
It could be, but I haven't read enough Shakespeare to know.
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 03:36:31 AM »
Also, your question was an excellent one, and it let me order my thoughts about the two selves I compared.  Thanks for asking it.  Please, sir, may I have another?

My pleasure :)

And I'm terribly sorry for my terribly diminutive comments, even this as I write it. My fight/flight response is strong these days and I can't help it. Of injured animals, and all that..

I'll try base my dialogue based on what I've thus learned from you. If you feel like I'm jumping ahead anywhere, please let me know.

Could I conclude that [your perception of identity] then comes from [an inside-looking-out perspective], centered on [your collective of experiences] and [their relative distance from what you perceive] to be the center of [your consciousness and the unconscious systems that support it]? (brackets for making it more readable)

How deeply have you read into the more recent neuroscience-based ideas of psychology, consciousness, identity, etc..? Although you may not be able to imagine how much more there is to know (and thus not able to quantify how curious you might be about things you don't yet know about), if there were was enough knowledge out there to represent a complete phase-shift (a change in which the old 'system' is abandoned rather than upgraded) how important would you say it is to you to learn about and change your ideas of self? How open would you be to new ideas? To quantify that last question a little better, many people might say they are open to being told about new ideas, but what I'm asking is how strongly would you seek out it out on your own initiative? How curious are you?

A last note; If I get too wordy for you to understand or start talking about stuff beyond what you're interested in reading/talking about, feel free to let me know clearly. Some of the more common responses tend to come out as efforts to save face, which usually end being a little hurtful. Not that I think you'll do that of course! I'm just....I want to go hide under my covers right now X|
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
We seem to have had something of an influx of deep thinkers.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »
I think quite a few of us might be deep thinkers and someone merely has to ask a deep question to elicit deep thought from his or her forum counterparts. On the other hand I do not think all of us are deep writers. It could be that we all possess the capacity to express our deep thoughts in words but the time investment for some would be much larger than for others.

Speaking for myself I know exactly what I mean in a wordless sense long before I can formulate the English to express what I mean in words. In fact, I don't know if I ever say "exactly" what I mean. I'm not sure if there aren't words for it, or if it would simply take longer to find them than would be practical. 

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »
It seems you've stumbled on the reason for my dedication to and fascination with words.

Now I don't know where exactly I lay on the spectrum of expertise in putting thoughts into words, but I've been working on it since high-school and I've noticed a world of improvement, so here are my thoughts on improving ones verbal paintbrush.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ps: this would probably be considered thread hijacking, along with any replies, so when I can I'll move the body of this into a new thread and link to there
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 05:47:11 PM »
I sometimes use long words I may not fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »
Don't you hate when you plan how to end your sentence but then flower gardening ideas?
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
Don't you hate when you plan how to end your sentence but then flower gardening ideas?

Like when someone's incomplete sentences
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Like when someone's incomplete sentences
Like when someone's incomplete sentences what? Speak, man! Speak! *flails*

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »
Risha, chill! Jay is not a dog. Of course, what the two of you do in the privacy of my own imagination is entirely up to you. ;-)
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 08:11:23 PM »
Risha, chill! Jay is not a dog. Of course, what the two of you do in the privacy of my own imagination is entirely up to you. ;-)
<.=.<

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »
>.=.>
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Altermeta Community

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »