Author Topic: Greetings from the brood.  (Read 18624 times)

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
Re: Greetings from the brood.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 06:19:03 AM »
To someone's sleeping beau:

I'm definitely of an inside-looking-out viewpoint; the only things that I know affect--and therefore in some way change--the mind are stimuli and the mind's reactions thereto.  Given that each new experience and thought changes the mind ever so slightly,   I see the change of personality as a continuous mental inevitability.  Since the brain has changed with each moment, so has the person; each is unique and can't truly be called the same person, I feel--though I do so for convenience anyway.

To clarify, any lines I draw between any "stages" in my mental state are heinously arbitrary and simplistic.  However, the buildup of changes does seem to lend itself to division, if only so I can handle my thoughts and reasoning more easily.

I'm not as curious as I'd like to be, given how important sources are in academia and how factually right I want to be for my own good and for that of others--false knowledge is a common killer.  However, when I learn something new, I fact-check it.  If it's right, I add it to my knowledge.  If not, I catalogue why for later.  I love to learn, and stay actively open-minded to all sources.

All that great thought, however, comes largely when I'm interested in or see use in the information presented.  It's when someone brings me something uninteresting that I start to slip on this policy.  I'll write someone's hobby in my notebook, but if it doesn't stick in my mind, I might never dig it up from the pages to search.  I look into intrigue and enthusiasm in the interest and in the person, and if neither is in either, I usually let the subject go.  It's not an uncommon disposition, but very self-gratifying and less than I want of myself.

Information on the psyche interests me a lot, and I'd gladly read good or promising work.  Most of my reasoning, however, comes from my own thoughts.  I've read perhaps four or five works dedicated to the subject, only one a textbook.  Counting success books, though, which are focused on mindset and were most of my homework for about ten years, I would call myself well-acquainted with a layman's description of the psyche--and that likely shows in my word choice and approach to the subject.  I'd welcome more formal sources, though my approach to finding them has been embarrassingly passive.

A thought of just now: I suppose epiphanies are really just collections of synaptic changes big enough to let you think a new way.  Maybe epiphany is the wrong word.  Maybe there isn't a word for it.  I wonder....

As to your thoughts on reading and writing, I agree: they enhance your ability to think and understand in many ways, some of which I find hard to explain and have been surprised to use.  I find myself using expressions and knowledge from all sorts of texts, always to my personal benefit.  I'd never call any level of expertise a plateau in ability; there's always another thing to learn and apply.  I feel that in word-world, limits are where you put them.  That's part of the fun I have in visiting it.
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 06:19:03 AM »

Offline brothejr

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Kuvling
  • I'm that guy...
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 01:48:50 AM »
Sorry for the late greetings: 

*Edward quietly walks into the room, sees the newcomer and ponders him for a moment, then silently begins to dig around inside his backpack.  After shifting some things around, he comes up with a mixtape cassette full of rock songs he put together.  Silently, almost shyly, he goes up to GreenEyedMonster and hands him the cassette.*

Um, enjoy this mixtape and welcome to the forum!  :)

*Then the small teenage kurvey wanders off to go back to the corner to listen to his music and read his comics.*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:36:18 AM by brothejr »
I should put something pithy here, but I don't have the energy.

*Goes back to listening to his rock music while reading a comic.*

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
Ooh, Queen!  Good stuff, broj.  Thanks.

Now, where's that cassette player...?
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
*Hands GEM a supplementary cassette containing track from Rush*

Edward keeps forgetting to add these to the mixtape. Enjoy!
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »
*Hands GEM a supplementary cassette containing track from Rush*

Edward keeps forgetting to add these to the mixtape. Enjoy!

>.=.>

Ooh, Queen!  Good stuff, broj.  Thanks.

Now, where's that cassette player...?
Right over there *points to a pile of various electronics and machinery dating back as far as 6938*
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 06:56:31 AM »
>.=.>
Right over there *points to a pile of various electronics and machinery dating back as far as 6938*
Hey, who never told me about these?
*teleports into the pile*
Hmm. Why is a memory crystal from the future in this pile? And why in GreenEyedMonster's name on it?
*tosses the chip to the nearest person* catch XD
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
Hey, who never told me about these?
*teleports into the pile*
Hmm. Why is a memory crystal from the future in this pile? And why in GreenEyedMonster's name on it?
*tosses the chip to the nearest person* catch XD
*catches it and hides it until further notice*
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Offline brothejr

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Kuvling
  • I'm that guy...
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »
>.=.>

*Edward quietly crosses over to the pile and begins to dig through it.  After a moment he comes up with a large metal box of a device.  Unsure what its for, he sees it has a plug and takes it to the nearest outlet.  Upon plugging the thing in, it began to buzz and vibrate!  Shocked, Edward jumped back before the thing zapped him with the myriad of small electrical arcs that suddenly began jumping from it.*

Um, I didn't touch anything!

*He backs away from the strange device and runs away before he can get in trouble.*
I should put something pithy here, but I don't have the energy.

*Goes back to listening to his rock music while reading a comic.*

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 04:34:31 AM »
*upon seeing Edward's frightful confrontation with the mechanical menace Liram leaps into action! Pulling a blunderbuss seemingly from nowhere and taking aim he pauses only to shout*

Anyone know of a reason I shouldn't shut this thing down permanently?

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 04:37:41 AM »
*upon seeing Edward's frightful confrontation with the mechanical menace Liram leaps into action! Pulling a blunderbuss seemingly from nowhere and taking aim he pauses only to shout*

I haven't even the foggiest notion what that thing is.

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »

What if we can't?
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 06:13:04 AM »
What if we can't?

Only one way to find out! *raises the piece to his eye and pulls the trigger sending the flint smashing forward into the frizzen, a shower of sparks and then BOOM! thick smoke rises from the unidentified electrical enemy*

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »
Only one way to find out! *raises the piece to his eye and pulls the trigger sending the flint smashing forward into the frizzen, a shower of sparks and then BOOM! thick smoke rises from the unidentified electrical enemy*
*Watches the smoke clear only to find the device completely intact*

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
Faulty electronics?  Try dousing it in water. :P  *Sticks the Rush tape into his Walkman.*  And...play!

...In the Twilight Zone.

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
*lookks at the strange electronic device*

I think you just made it mad, Liram.
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »