Author Topic: Bane of Void  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
Re: Bane of Void
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »
My opinion is that it is up to the person defining the terms.

A good chunk of science is what to name things
and they are constantly redefining those terms,
especially in astronomy!

To try and argue planets vs planetoids
is kind of like arguing the color Red vs Scarlet;
it lacks objectivity.

Also: "Pluto" was the Roman equivalent to the Greek god "Hades"...
Who was a judge, not an executioner.
If Pluto/Hades was a judge, who was the Jury?
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Altermeta Community

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »
It may surprise you but not every curt in the american style.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »

A jury is created out of one's peers.

In this case; your soul already belongs to his domain
so he is judging whether you go to Elysium or Tartarus.

Names vary...

"Possession is 9/10th of the law."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:09:01 PM by Voidbane »
*Gives a deep bow, spreading his wings regally*

"I am known as Sigwion;
Inventor, philosopher and adventurer..."

Offline Alkarii

• Kuvling
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
"Possession is 9/10th of the law."

So the power of Christ isn't completely compelling?
If I told you I was a liar, would you believe me?

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »
So the power of Christ isn't completely compelling?

I cannot answer this without having clarification of the term "Power of Christ".

^..^;

I did call a "Jesus Christ" when I was working at a call center,
pronounced it "Hey-Zeus Krist",
As the Spanish name would allow.

"I am known as Sigwion;

Offline Alkarii

• Kuvling
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »
Guess you never saw The Exorcist.
If I told you I was a liar, would you believe me?

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »
Guess you never saw The Exorcist.

On contrare' ; I have vastly enjoy the original version on cassette.

The goal if the thread is to answer questions,
to which end I could not reply to yours.

"I am known as Sigwion;

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
for the purpose of specificity let us use a descriptive rating of [0-9,?], where 0 is a vague answer of roughly three or less words, 9 is as precise a description as you could reasonably manage within at most two hours, and ? is your own perogative. Use a logarithmic scale to determine the relative ratings between 0 and 9. This shall be notated with (DR$)

As accurately as you can contrive within the constraint of (DR4): What is your definition of 'illusion'?

Also, If one were to declare their definition of 'knowledge' to be contextual to the human experience, and include as unspoken fine-print that all knowledge that they claim to know is an expressed article of the mind, and a function of the mechanisms that allow us to think, sense, and otherwise biologically function as a human being, etc etc... would you still call it an illusion?

If you do, then I would ask this question: Can an illusion know it's an illusion?

(DR1) Do you think you could ever willingly chose your own death? (DR2) Describe what you think about your eventual end. (DR?) What roles does it play in enabling or motivating specific behaviors in you? (eg: do you subscribe to the YOLO ideaology? karmic? afterlife judgement? meaninglessness of actions in life, or the grand scheme of things?)

(DR?) If you were immortal, how long do you believe you could retain your functional sanity in a void stretching on to infinity? The only thing you could sense would be yourself. The ambient pressure is sea-level. The environmental atmosphere is the kind of air which we can't taste or smell, though you could feel the resultant pressures from things like moving your limbs through through the gas or blowing it out your nose. The temperature is exactly neutral so that you do not sense it, though you may sense an increase in your own temperature from increased exertion, for example. Gravity is always vertically downwards from your ribcage. You never get hungry or thirsty. You never need to defecate or urinate. You may chose to breathe or not breathe, neither choice will kill you. You may sleep or not sleep, neither choice will affect you beyond a temporary cessation of certain mental activity. You may see yourself but your eyes do not register any ambient source of light. Etc, etc.....

(DR9)Do you like strawberry cheesecake?
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
QWERTY, QWERTZ or AZERTY?
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »

As accurately as you can contrive within the constraint of (DR4): What is your definition of 'illusion'?

Also, If one were to declare their definition of 'knowledge' to be contextual to the human experience, and include as unspoken fine-print that all knowledge that they claim to know is an expressed article of the mind, and a function of the mechanisms that allow us to think, sense, and otherwise biologically function as a human being, etc etc... would you still call it an illusion?

If you do, then I would ask this question: Can an illusion know it's an illusion?

The term "illusion" originates from the term  illudere which in of itself roughly means "to play against" or "to mock".
(I mainly am aware of this connection due to my love of Latin and French language origins)

That is my "literal" definition of illusion,
although the limitations of language as a medium of communications lacks the ability to completely express such a abstract concept.

As for an illusion knowing it is an illusion: I believe it is very possible.
An individuals perspective of one's self and how they define what they know
is independent of what their state of being might be.

(DR1) Do you think you could ever willingly chose your own death?

Yes. (Definitive answer, not vague.)

(DR2) Describe what you think about your eventual end.

That I would be glad to rest, but regret my unfulfilled ambitions.

(DR?) What roles does it play in enabling or motivating specific behaviors in you?
(eg: do you subscribe to the YOLO ideaology? karmic? afterlife judgement? meaninglessness of actions in life, or the grand scheme of things?)

Believing that I am not eternal gives greater meaning to what limited actions I can take within my uncertain lifespan.

(DR?) If you were immortal, how long do you believe you could retain your functional sanity in a void stretching on to infinity? The only thing you could sense would be yourself. The ambient pressure is sea-level. The environmental atmosphere is the kind of air which we can't taste or smell, though you could feel the resultant pressures from things like moving your limbs through through the gas or blowing it out your nose. The temperature is exactly neutral so that you do not sense it, though you may sense an increase in your own temperature from increased exertion, for example. Gravity is always vertically downwards from your ribcage. You never get hungry or thirsty. You never need to defecate or urinate. You may chose to breathe or not breathe, neither choice will kill you. You may sleep or not sleep, neither choice will affect you beyond a temporary cessation of certain mental activity. You may see yourself but your eyes do not register any ambient source of light. Etc, etc.....

Seven seconds.

(DR9)Do you like strawberry cheesecake?

To like is to experience, and thus would be relative to the entirety of the spectrum of possible entities defined as "strawberry cheesecake".

Even within such definition, the very nature of what constitutes a "cheesecake" has been highly debated within culinary circles since it's discovery in Ancient Greece.

Is it a Torte'? A Custard pie? Truly a cake?

We just do not know... and since there exists such a multitude of ways to prepare and present it, even limited to those possibilities,
it would likely take a lifetime to determine if they all meet the criteria of being desirable to me.

QWERTY, QWERTZ or AZERTY?

Currently using QWERTY,
but "qwertz" is shiny and tastes great!

^..^~!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:18:29 PM by Voidbane »

"I am known as Sigwion;

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 12:53:36 AM »
Subjectively speaking, which political party's cooks and/or chefs make the tastiest food?  Why do you think so? :P
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:02 AM »
Subjectively speaking, which political party's cooks and/or chefs make the tastiest food?  Why do you think so? :P

Communist party:
I love me some Community Pot-Luck~!

^..^

"I am known as Sigwion;