Author Topic: A Bugologists Journal :: March 26th, 2015  (Read 7400 times)

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
  • Sasha is Love, Life, and quite likely Perfection.
A Bugologists Journal :: March 26th, 2015
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »

SQUEE, PEOPLE. SQUEE FOR YOUR LIVES.

Also Sasha, woot! New page, woot! Continuation of RotW? Probably not, but still woot!

I'm guessing Casey still has a lot on her plate and/or isn't as invested in the comic much now due to the quality, in comparison to her previous pages that she's put out.

Not that it's bad in the slightest, just making a note.
DISREGARD THAT I'M AN IDIOT. I am pleased that there's a new page! :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:35:05 PM by Jessi »
Never truly judge anything until it is finished.

Altermeta Community

A Bugologists Journal :: March 26th, 2015
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »

Offline Voidbane

• Elder Kuvrahk
Re: A Bugologists Journal :: March 26th, 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »
What a purty little Odonata!

^..^~!
*Gives a deep bow, spreading his wings regally*

"I am known as Sigwion;
Inventor, philosopher and adventurer..."

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »
squee!
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
I'm thinking this is looking good! Noben does change her art styles now an again.
Truthfully, I'd be okay with a greyscale comic, though I do love her coloring work!
I'm just happy to see the next page at any rate! I suspect Noben being in a better location will be a boon to the comic, and certainly to Noben!
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »
I sense a SUV approaching crushing poor dragonfly.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »
I sense a SUV approaching crushing poor dragonfly.
Or a truck.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:11:30 PM »
I think that has a very good chance to happen, or something like it.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline GabbyKoopa

• Administrator
  • Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

SQUEE, PEOPLE. SQUEE FOR YOUR LIVES.

Also Sasha, woot! New page, woot! Continuation of RotW? Probably not, but still woot!

I'm guessing Casey still has a lot on her plate and/or isn't as invested in the comic much now due to the quality, in comparison to her previous pages that she's put out.

Not that it's bad in the slightest, just making a note. I am pleased that there's a new page! :D

Hey, you hurt Casey's feelings.

Just thought you should know.

She put a lot of work into this page and she hand lettered it, agonized over it. She'd like something a little more supportive than that for the first effing comment. You should know better than that.
This IS a continuation of RotW, it's the next damn scene! Sasha's supposed to be there! Think before you post, you really hurt her!

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
I have to say, I noticed the hand lettering and it looks awesome! (I wish *my* handwriting could be that good). I think the difference I notice in coloring might be a greater contrast with the shadows and highlights, but I think it looks great.

Also Sasha playing with bugs! I knew he was like me! :3

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
I don't have too much to contribute. I don't ordinarily comment on stuff like this, but I thought maybe our miss Casey might appreciate it.

I can definitely see the effort she put into the page, and I really appreciate the hand-written dialogue. Many people use already existing 'handwritten' typeface so it has that personal touch, or use their own handwriting to create the typeface. Not only does it make it easier to keep everything neat and organized, getting the alignment of each line centered just so is soooooo difficult by hand. Going through that extra effort to do it all by hand is really something else. I sometimes go through several pages of retries before I find something appropriate.

I love the deep-forest path and the little winged cutey, and I think Sasha's expressions are great. Especially the last one :3. I do have a bit of a bias towards forests and nature, though, haha.

The panel arrangement is also really neat! I don't know all the particular words and theory, but I like that it's not just boxes side by side, but it's strategically arranged and flowing so well with the all the imagery and dialogue. I love things with seemingly random but structured order. I feel like the flow of the page is something kinda like but not quite this:

(Also, I may have taken some artistic liberty in my clumsy rendering)

Anyway, before anyone blows up at anyone, let's try to remember that the best outcome is the one where, in the end, everyone is happy at heart.

Thank you for the new page Casey. I look forward to more. <3
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 10:32:59 PM »
Hey, you hurt Casey's feelings.

Just thought you should know.

She put a lot of work into this page and she hand lettered it, agonized over it. She'd like something a little more supportive than that for the first effing comment. You should know better than that.
This IS a continuation of RotW, it's the next damn scene! Sasha's supposed to be there! Think before you post, you really hurt her!

...Oh sugar. Apologies indeed. Not much I can say to remedy what's been said, but I am truly sorry. No offense was meant, just noted the colouring wasn't what we usually see.

I don't wanna dig myself into a deeper hole, so Imma be very sorry and shut up. :x

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:12:12 AM »
On a closely related note I SQUEEEEEED so hard when I loaded up the comic and saw a new page that I thought my eyes were going to bleed. Sasha's big eyes will fill my heart with gentle squee whenever I gaze on this page, which will be often.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this page

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Also I would like to mention on the 'squee' panel he nearly as cute as Boo. Just nearly...
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Also I would like to mention on the 'squee' panel he nearly as cute as Boo. Just nearly...

*He is cuter

Offline Jay Chan

• Dragon
  • When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:57 PM »
On a closely related note I SQUEEEEEED so hard when I loaded up the comic and saw a new page that I thought my eyes were going to bleed. Sasha's big eyes will fill my heart with gentle squee whenever I gaze on this page, which will be often.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this page

I second this. This is now one of my new all time favorite pages of Altermeta. The colors, the spotty forest lighting, Sasha's expressions, the flow of the panels, and the cadence of the whole thing are all just spot on!
I also really like that progression in the last three panels of Sasha slowly stepping closer into the light. It really gives a feel for how he's slowly moving to follow that dragonfly.
And that last panel.
Just... *fanboys all over that*

Speaking of which, Casey, that last panel would make the most epic avie next time you feel like changing it!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:56:39 PM by Jay Chan »
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit Altum Sonatur.

"I know it sounds ridiculous that a game as simple as ours doesn't run at 1000 frames/second, but there are always opportunities to write obscenely slow code, and we took most of them"

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:57 PM »