Author Topic: Paying for Altermeta  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
Paying for Altermeta
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
Unfortunately I'm having a hard time affording to keep Altermeta online. My own life expenses have been increasing, and it gets harder and harder to justify the hosting bill that Altermeta has every month.

I desperately want to keep the site online, but advertising is bringing in less than $10/month and donations have completely dried up.

If anybody has any ideas on how to gain income for the site, I would love to hear about them.

Altermeta Community

Paying for Altermeta
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »

Offline lyfibringer

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Chances are, I love you.
    • Lyfi Universe
Re: Paying for Altermeta
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:38:27 PM »
How much a month is it? I should be able to donate after moving and the expenses involved with that.

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:36 AM »
How much a month is it? I should be able to donate after moving and the expenses involved with that.

Currently expenses are around $60/month...

Offline lyfibringer

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Chances are, I love you.
    • Lyfi Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:51:30 AM »
Hm. Well, again, once I get moved I should be able to cover a month, no problem. Until then, I hope something more concrete can be figured out. Maybe we can do some sort of donation drive, to earn some scratch? A post on the front page should spur on something, from what I recall, it did so last time?

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:50:20 AM »
Now that I have a job, I can now afford a small monthly donation. I won't be able to start right away, but I can afford it.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 05:37:07 AM »
Maybe we can do some sort of donation drive, to earn some scratch? A post on the front page should spur on something, from what I recall, it did so last time?

Yeah, last time got me a bit over a year's worth of money for the site, but I try to avoid announcing a need for donations. I spend so much time listening to all the crap people demand and gossip about with donation drives from sites like FA. It makes me really hesitant to even keep the donation button on the front page as it is.

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
I'd be ready to contribute to a donation drive, this is sort of a horse of a different color to me.

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
I'd be ready to contribute to a donation drive, this is sort of a horse of a different color to me.

Well... I do accept donations any time via the button on the front page <.-.<

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »
It's sad to here that there are such problems. It would be a great blow if this site would be closed. Sadly I still broke with a salary that is enough  for nothing. :(
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
It's sad to here that there are such problems. It would be a great blow if this site would be closed. Sadly I still broke with a salary that is enough  for nothing. :(

The last thing I want to do is shut the site down in any way. It took YEARS to build up the traffic again after it went offline last time, and it simply wouldn't be fair to Noben. Unfortunately, adblock is also a thing and I'm getting about 20% of the people visiting this site who allow ads, so adsense is seeing about 20% of the traffic that there normally is. Most large sites will have near 90% of the visitors not using ad blocking... If I could hit 90% without ad blocking, I could nearly cover the hosting bill... unfortunately posting a plea to exempt this site does little, if anything, to change that.

I could switch to another ad network that gives a higher CPM, but most of those are shady, would put adult ads onto the site, and generally would take away from the comic and community. Adsense doesn't give as much money per view, but it doesn't give popups or anything (except RARE ads that slip through, but they're quickly taken care of) and generally stays out of the way. Project wonderful is near useless though... I've gotten about $5 since october... not even enough to reach the minimum to withdraw.

I would love to support the site with merchandise or donations, but then you run into two other problems... The amount of income needed wouldn't be enough to support myself through merchandise. Bringing physical goods to a site makes it a near full time job, so I would have to account for far more than just enough to pay the bills. Relying on donations requires the constant asking for money... something I'm not good at as is, but also something that when done to a level needed to sustain the site becomes an annoyance and gives the same level of drama that FA ends up with.

So... What about patreon? It's a possibility. I would have to talk to Noben about it as she's the content creator and she already has an active campaign happening. Sadly (and not to shift blame to her at all!) when patreon started, donations to the site went from about $20/month to zero.

Offline Jessi

• Kuvling
  • Sasha is Love, Life, and quite likely Perfection.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »
I think Patreon would be a good move. It costs nothing to setup as far as I'm aware, and my boyfriend can maybe give a shoutout to Casey if I ask nicely, considering he's making his own game for the more adult of the internet, his patreon is doing well.
Never truly judge anything until it is finished.

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
I think Patreon would be a good move. It costs nothing to setup as far as I'm aware, and my boyfriend can maybe give a shoutout to Casey if I ask nicely, considering he's making his own game for the more adult of the internet, his patreon is doing well.

The biggest issue is that if I set one up, it'd be a duplicate of what Noben also has. I am also not a content creator so I would run afoul of several rules. (Additionally, I could not promise any incentives due to the position I have on this site)

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
Related to the patreon issue, My advice is to reach out to Noben if you haven't already. As I understand, her patreon is meant to fund Altermeta the comic, is it not? Why shouldn't it also provide a little funding for Altermeta the website? Or, is there something I'm missing?
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Caltsar

• The Unspeakably
  • Administrator
  • Dragon
  • mewp!
    • caltsar.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
Related to the patreon issue, My advice is to reach out to Noben if you haven't already. As I understand, her patreon is meant to fund Altermeta the comic, is it not? Why shouldn't it also provide a little funding for Altermeta the website? Or, is there something I'm missing?

Unfortunately there hasn't been a huge amount of time to discuss that. I do wish to talk to Noben about that, but with me working three jobs right now, it's been difficult to get hold of her :(

Offline brothejr

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Kuvling
  • I'm that guy...
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »
One question, does the host offer a yearly rate and if so is there a discount?  I know the host I use for my site offers a discount for paying for a whole year at once.  Maybe instead you can find a cheaper host to move to then the one we're on now.  Taking a peak at the rates my host gives, maybe it might be cheaper.  (Bluehost.com)
I should put something pithy here, but I don't have the energy.

*Goes back to listening to his rock music while reading a comic.*

Altermeta Community

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »