Author Topic: Recent Readings and Books On The List  (Read 2800 times)

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
  • On the backs of turtles we stride
Recent Readings and Books On The List
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:03:59 AM »
Thought some of us might like to talk about books we've read and share future titles we're hoping to get to. What I'm hoping for is we can avoid just posting lists of books and instead just have a conversation about books, why we like this one, criticisms of that one, or what were hoping to read in the future.

For the sake of polite discourse, though, I'm hoping we can all avoid comments like "That book is shit" and appreciate that every person comes from a different place and has different and valid reasons for doing what they do and enjoying what they enjoy. Stating a critical viewpoint is fine and all but recognize that others may not agree, and attacking someone and their opinion may lead to them attacking you back. Everyone has a right to defend themselves, so to avoid a fight try not to attack anyone :). If you don't like what someone has to say, ask them why they think what they do and try to understanding why they would say what they did.

Feel free to talk freely about the content of the books, but please cover it with the spoiler code. [spoiler ][/spoiler ] but without the spaces. Put the spoiler text [spoiler ] right here [/spoiler ], or highlight the text and click the button with the little nuclear symbol icon. After posting it should look...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:24:28 AM by SleepingBeau »
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Altermeta Community

Recent Readings and Books On The List
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:03:59 AM »

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
Re: Recent Readings and Books On The List
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
I've just recently started reading the Malazan Book Of The Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

Getting through the first book was a challenge. I mean, I had to really challenge myself to get through the first few chapters. It seemed like the author didn't do a very good job of providing enough context for the reader to understand everything that was going on. Buuuuut, after pushing through and just latching on to the good stuff to keep me going, I soon found myself pretty well oriented in a rich world of fantasy. It's a really neat take on all kinds of myths and cultures, with many species over several large continents. A place where gods and magic are one, and they're alive and ever interposing themselves in the lives of mortals. The books follows several characters, dwelling here and there as events occur around them.

I'm on the third book now and decidedly hooked. The author's inclusion of women into every aspect of life is wonderful. Yay for fantasy without sexism. And I have to say I'm a fan of the author's particular preference of how he likes his women lol.

In other news, I just just found this: http://gutenberg.net.au/explorers-journals.html

A collection of books/journals from Australian explorers of some 300-100 years ago. I can't wait to get started.
And the cackling coyote said to the wolf, "Then what will be left to eat but the fat off your lies and my gamey pointless riddles?"

Offline Ikagara

• Hatchling
  • Mew.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:32:16 AM »
I am not much of a reader at all, I don't really have the attention span but I have taken to listening to some audio books while at work or driving.

One of the books I listened to was called The Martian by Andy Weir. It is a science fiction book about an astronaut who was left behind on mars when  a NASA mission to mars that went wrong. Its best not to give too much away so I'll leave it at that.

The great thing I love about this book though is its accuracy. He did the research on how NASA and its crew operates and makes sure that everything that happens is plausible.

The book was recommended by Adam Savage during one of his podcasts (Still Untitled), Its also recommended the audio book version where the reader voices all the charecters but does a fantastic job giving each their ascents. Later Adam also did a spoilercast for the book (spoilers: https://youtu.be/CA6L0bWLAxQ?t=2m8s )

They have also announced recently that they are making a movie based on this book, I'm hopeful for it.

Question: Should spoilers be avoided, or can things like that be discussed here in spoiler tags?

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »
Oh good question. I think spoilers are perfectly okay, just cover them with the [spoiler ][/spoiler ] tags.

The Martian peaked my curiosity recently. I might not bother to see the movie (because of some personal biases, which are irrelevant) but I think I'd like to read the book at some point. I'm curious to see what kind of ideas the author kicks around. I'll make mention if I read it later so I can actually discuss it. All I have to go on right now are other peoples criticisms for the movie :P

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
I don't read very much anymore. I got kinda burnt out reading for school.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
I hated reading. I truly hated it. Elementary and high school were very effective make reading a torment for me.
Then I read a book because I was interested in it and not because I have to read it for some homework.
Now I constantly reading.
Currently I reading Agatha Christie's works. The Miss Marple novels bit too slow paced for my taste. I like Poirot and her independent stories. My favorites are the Harley Quin novel series. I was quite surprised when I realized that the stories of Mr. Satterthwaite and Mr. Quin from novel to novel became more mysterious.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
I just finished Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances. A good read with the usual Gaiman weirdness, urban fantasy and plain everyday creepy and American Gods story at the end.

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
I've read 117 books so far this year ^.^ a good third of them are graphic novels - not issues though, I don't count those. Only full books.

Highlight would be 'The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared'. I laughed myself silly.

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
Wow, that's a great count confusedcious. I'm not sure what I'm to so far, or what my highest record might be, but I doubt it's incomparable to yours. And lol, the title of that story sounds promising lol. Reminds me of 'All My Friends Are Super Heroes'

I just finished the long and arduous read of the Malazzan Book Of The Dead series. 11 long books, of comparable length to the Game of Thrones books. Yikes... Talk about sordid. I mean it was an interesting read, the author is a hell of a writer and quite the clever poet, but yikes... Reading through it was like an assault on all my hopes and faith in humanity. Not always, but there was certainly a whole lot of chapters through which I had to quite really 'gird' myself. Also, because of the language of the characters, I'm going to be stuck using words like 'gird' and 'sordid' for awhile.

I also finally finished the Giants of Ganymede series. Not quite as fascinating as the first books in the series, but it was good. Lots of neat ideas. Especially the Entoverse. I mean, I can see a lot of people regarding it as a pretty silly idea, but the concepts behind that story element are about alternate meta-physical realities that exist within pockets of reality. I mean, whole universes including races of independent entities might be a bit much, but conceptually, the idea of nearly completely enclosed systems of ridiculous complexity is very real and very interesting! I mean, our minds could constitute this exact thing. What's actually observable of our minds is so incredibly tiny compared to everything going on in it. "Every person is an island". Whole worlds exist in the minds of every person. Ah, wonder and mystery, what art thou?

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
Well...  Have not read that many. 20-30 I think.

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 03:14:29 AM »
Just finished The Martian.

Unfortunately I have to say I'm not impressed lol. I found the journal entries to be of the similar literary skill as many of our own journal writers. Not that I think we're terrible or anything. I just expected...a little more from a piece making it as far as cinema and with the title of hard sci-fi. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by David Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen) :P. But either way, it felt like I was reading an HBO sci-fi special.

I guess that's not a bad thing, though. It means that we, too, could find ourselves some success. Maybe I'll yet finish a parallel story to Jani and Bradov's tale. That'd be nice... a proper note of graduation from all my past of mental turmoil :)

Anyway, it was neat to read some NASA stuff. It's only been since Chris Hadfield has made his name known that I've started reading about the space exploration organizations and how they go about doing things. If you liked The Martian I'm sure you'll enjoy Chris Hadfields book. I'm probably going to see if I can find another book, maybe by an engineer or something instead.

Hey confusedcious, what kind of books do you typically pick up?

Offline confusedcious

• Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • Triple Threat Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
I'm a sucker for fantasy and other speculative stuff though I can be a bit picky and it's hard to say I like a subgenre because that's not really it. I do tend to avoid questy high fantasy though, gives me a case of the mehs. I tend to enjoy modern settings more, and authors like Tom Pollock who show me something I haven't seen before and make it feel real.

I also read a bunch of non-fiction. Biography, science, whatever I see that looks interesting.

Oh, and graphic novels. I don't tend to read much of the superhero kinda stuff though. More horror and fairytale/legend/mythology inspired

Thanks to Russ for the sig!

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm currently reading Marvel's Civil War storyline.

Offline SleepingBeau

• Kuvvie
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 03:13:44 AM »
Picky is fine. Picky is...well, normal lol. I used to think it was weird that so many people didn't like what I did. Turns out the reverse was true, too. Difference is cool. I can't relate to a persons enthusiasm for the tastes we don't share, but I can appreciate the fact that a person has a good reason to like and enjoy what they do.

Anyway,  what's too questy for you, confusedcious? Also...lol, I looked up Tom Pollock...Road Trip?!? I must be tired, took me awhile to realize that it's possible for two people to have the same name. The Skyscraper Throne series sounds neat. I have to admit that my consumption of fantasy in modern times is a little sparse. Probably only Dark Heart by Weis and Baldwin, and Harry Potter.

My go-to genres used to be medieval high fantasy and action adventure sci-fi. Of course young boys would dream of heroism and exploration :P. I tried getting into other forms of fantasy but titles like Harry Potter and The Twilight Saga dominated the field, and I was soooo uninterested. Oh. I did read Animorphs in elementary school. I completely forgot about that.

Yeah....superhero stuff tends to primarily be tailored towards boys of the 80's and 90's. Thumbs up for the horror stuff though! I loved this one book I read as a kid (can't remember the name anymore), which was essential a murder-mystery book turned into horror fantasy. Some of my favorite webcomics are horror. More than just the horror content, there must be something about writing horror that free's authors of from the usual assumptions of what life and 'normal' must be like. Things like accepting and finding normality in astoundingly abnormal situations. It really redefines ones assumptions of normality.