Author Topic: Envy's answers.  (Read 933 times)

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
Envy's answers.
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:06:32 AM »
So I'm out of BMT (I confess I've been done with that phase for over a month now), going to tech school now and trying my best to kill the five-hit out of the tests here.  Questions about the training, the weirdness on-base, anything at all?  I'm glad to answer--internet is one of my activity favorites.  Answers will come on weekends and holidays, those being my biggest chunks of time off and times of greatest calm.
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.

Altermeta Community

Envy's answers.
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:06:32 AM »

Offline MeepSire

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Teleport Expert First Class
Re: Envy's answers.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:29:15 AM »
Glad to hear the mud-crawling has ended!

Here are some questions if you want them... Did 80% of the day involve the Drill Sergeant? Did you have one of those guys, always getting the platoon in trouble? Do you like the routine? Did you achieve Expert Marksman with the M4, M40, or one of the various Marksman rifles they provide? You studying for aircraft tech? How is the on-base food?

Best wishes.
"But, but, I still check the forum..."

Offline GreenEyedMonster

• Hatchling
Re: Envy's answers.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:00:49 AM »
First, no mud crawling ever hapened.  Sand, yes, but no mud.  Texas, y'know?  I was disappoint. :|

Whether the day was mostly MTI (Military Training Instructor) or mostly...any number of other things, really, was up to the schedule, but ours was a good flight (Air force formations our size were called flights--Army and Marines formations of the same size are called platoons, I think) overall, so we mostly got left alone in the gaps between appointments and courses.  Even the really MTI-heavy days didn't pass around 40% interaction time--too much else to do, on our parts and theirs.

We didn't have any true "that guy" trainees there--everyone who was messing up shaped up pretty early on, although one of them did complain way, way too much when there were no MTIs around.

The routine now (in tech school) is good, pretty lax overall, so long as you attend the mandatory formations and classes and such.  The routine in BMT was...not terrible.  I was mentally prepared for most of it, and it was mostly mental, although homesickness hit somewhere around second week through third with later twinges.  The MTIs couldn't use MTI tools--punishment PT--while I went through, so BMT was a lot more tame than I expected, and a bit disapointing in that area.
The only time we did anything extensively physical was during fifth week--Basic Expeditionary Airman Skills Training, more usually called BEAST Week, a sort of simulated deployment under crap conditions--when we...well...ran an obstacle course, basically.  Fun but exhausting.  That week's also when we shot for the only time in BMT at a course called Combat Arms Training and Maintenance with an M16A2 on semi.  Never even touched another weapon besides the M16 trainers we were issued from the start, and those were deactivated, but there were a few folks nearby with pistols, probably tech schoolers.  We didn't get to fire fully automatic weapons of any kind, nor any marksman rifles, and grenades weren't anywhere near us.  I was...a bit sad, I'll admit, but I guess that's an Army/Marines thing, like platoon.  Navy and Coast Guard are more up on shotguns, I think, if you were curious--penetration reasons, I guess.
Oh, and I'm not actually as awesome a shot as expert marksman implies, just one with a generous scorekeeper: one or two shots tore paper past their size and he still counted them.  Not sure how to feel about that :/

...Maybe kinda guilty.

Anyways, my job?  Plane mechanic, really, called Crew Chief.  I get to learn the whole plane on a basic level, although my particular sort of Crew Chief (yes, there are types to make it complicated) works in the inspections and deeper work of the thing, so I should have some fun with that--fun which I haven't had yet, and, sadly, probably won't be able to talk about.  Still, it'll be fun! ;)

I like the food here, but my classmates have been unhappy with it because, I think, they're tired of the base.  Like I said in post one here, the internet's all I need, so everything's fine.  To think they laugh at my nerdlyness. :D
Back in BMT, I really liked the food also, but the stuff here is undeniably tastier.  I'm not picky to start, but french toast twice a day really [insert bad pun regarding sugar and bargains here].

Best wishes to you as well, 'Sire.
The myriad eyes of the brood look at you, a sea of synaptic permutations of a single brain and will spanning over twenty years of growth.  We have worked toward this goal for a long, long time, and we are ready for you.  Ask your question.