Author Topic: Aunt Binki  (Read 818 times)

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
Aunt Binki
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
I was re-reading through the comic archives (both new and old) in preparation to get my head to the proper story writing mode.
It occurred to me, I hadn't really given much consideration to a small little aspect: What kind of accent is T-Square's Aunt Binki speaking in?
We don't have a lot of detail just yet on Binki, she looks a bit like a gypsy, but there could be plenty of other aspect as well.

Now, after re-reading it, and going over it a few times in my head, I have a good hunch as to how it sounds in my head, but I'm curious to see what others think as well before I outright state my thoughts on it.

http://altermeta.net/oldarchive/archive.php?comic=58&chapter=1&view=
    &
http://altermeta.net/oldarchive/archive.php?comic=101&chapter=3&view=

What do you all think?
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Altermeta Community

Aunt Binki
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »

Offline Dreaker

• Dragon
  • He who lurks around
Re: Aunt Binki
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:19:08 AM »
Sorry not good with accents but I'm sure I have heard yes'm somewhere of that I'1m sure.
Secret activity in process. Please look elsewhere.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
Re: Aunt Binki
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 07:01:53 AM »
By just reading, I'm seeing some elements of scottish, some elements of italian, and some elements of mid 19th century mid-southeastern US/mid 15th century south-British countryside. If I try to actually create a voice in my head...

...Overall, I'd say modern non-Texas Deep South with a strong Scottish influence, which is difficult to reconcile with her apparently Romani-esque origins.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)