Author Topic: (Un)Official Kuvrahk FAQ [Updated 08/21/10]  (Read 56855 times)

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
  • What? No, seriously what?
Re: (Un)Official Kuvrahk FAQ [Updated 08/21/10]
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »
So, um... any answer to my earlier question? Skin or scales under the head hair?
Risha and Jay Chan? Yeah, I ship'em.

Altermeta Community

« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »

Offline lyfibringer

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Chances are, I love you.
    • Lyfi Universe
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »
So, um... any answer to my earlier question? Skin or scales under the head hair?

I would swear that there is something about that in the FAQ. Double check and I'll go over it again.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
  • Your trusted friend in Science
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »

My vote.... scales since the 'skin' tone stops around the mouth/snout area.
"You don't wheedle the god of the Dragons, even if he is your father."

Offline lyfibringer

• Elder Kuvrahk
  • Chances are, I love you.
    • Lyfi Universe
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:09 AM »
    Unless it is buried in the actual thread instead of the FAQ, I pulled up nothing. The section that spoke of the soft skin parts did not list the scalp. The mane that can be grown appears to come out of the entire neck, so it could be soft skin or scales, no telling. I agree with Wraa, from what we know, it would be scales or some specialized form that allows for hair to grow.

Offline Risha Kalsyhan

• RotW RPG Beta
  • Dragon
  • WWJD: What would Janeway do?
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »
I vote scales for the same reason as Wraa. On the other hand, If you shave too close, you'll take off the scales, leaving behind bare skin. Might hurt a little though.
Yes, we are going to fight back. But not here, not now, not in the Colonies. Not even in this star system. Let the word go forth to every man, woman and child who survived this holocaust. Tell them to set sail at once in every assorted vehicle that will carry them.

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 08:02:05 AM »
I can live with that. I read the same thing about the skin as Wraa did, but wanted further clarification. My next character can move forward a but more now. :)

Offline Draque

• Kuvvie
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
From a biological point of view, hair and scales are produced by essentially the same mechanism (modified by evolution, obviously). It doesn't seem likely that Kuvrahks would have both for that reason. Just speculation on my part though, Caz would have to confirm/correct.

Offline Lisbon Virgo

• Adult Member
  • Dragon
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Is there a city listing somewhere in the FAQ? I have a few characters who are not originally from SRF.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
At this time, there is not a lot known.

Silvaston is known to be about an hour away (by car or Tram) and is West of Star Rock Falls and is on the edge of the crater that SRF is in the center of. Southridge is, as the name implies south of SRF It is a bit smaller. There are also settlements on the east and north. Beyond that, there is Central Cyslelus, (no known name at this time), and there was a place called Silvershore Port, but it may or may not exist in modern times.

If I am missing any small references to other places that have been made in the comic, please feel free to post them.
I know it isn't much, but hopefully that helps Lisbon.

Offline Wraa

• Dragon
Re: (Un)Official Kuvrahk FAQ
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Kuvrahks

After hatching, the baby Kuvvie is quite similar to a baby Human, meaning it's completely helpless and will do a lot of growing. This would explain the presence of mammary glands (breasts) on the female Kuvrahks. After laying an egg, a kuvrahk mother's body goes into a state of readiness for the coming months of feeding. While there's a lot of SCIENCE! involved here that isn't explained, approximately 3 months after laying, her body begins to produce milk as a human would shortly after giving birth. It's just timed differently. Unfortunately I don't have the know-how to really explain such a delay, but I'm sure there's a way.

Okay: In working to produce a write up for Kuvrahks in my Pathfinder/D&D world, I happened across this and wondered: What would cause a delay, and what would trigger it?

So, how about this?

For the next three months after laying an egg, the mother's body is still running on a different level when it comes to hormones. These hormones tell her body to get ready, get set...... but not to go, when it comes to producing milk.

Now, as the egg reaches the point when it will start to dry out naturally (no matter what), perhaps it will release subtle pheromone that triggers a response in a female who is already in this hormonal state of readiness.

This could be a double win, as an attentive mother will certainly be around to have the 'lactation pheromone' take affect. But if a mother isn't around, there is likely a way to be exposed to it anyway (if she is out of town or such when it begins to be emitted). Also, if the egg is not viable, or the mother isn't around, her hormones will slowly go back to normal levels, and no wasted lactation occurs.

Is it science? I have no idea. I do not know of any species to which has such a thing, but it could work in my mind.

What do you all think?

Offline Liram

• Dragon
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2014, 05:24:46 AM »
I mean it certainly sounds viable to me from a biological standpoint. It would be interesting to contemplate the evolutionary pathway which would lead to such a relationship between the mother's hormone's and pheromones from the egg. We know that the bodies of human babies communicate intimately with the bodies of the mothers, why not an egg from outside?

Offline Brunhidden the muse

• Adult Member
  • Kuvling
  • Aint dead yet
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2014, 05:35:20 AM »
physical contact is important- in a human supposedly a mother who touches her baby changes the composition of her milk to better suit the babies needs as expressed by the babies skin.
 its logial that a kuvrahk mother would regularly touch the egg and likewise receive information via the skin touching the outside shell, which would change based on how ready the egg is